Hard Drives.....

Reaction score
Hi, any recommendations of hard drives. Trying to decide which one to buy but not sure which company is ahead of the rest??? Thanx

Reaction score
tbh ive been through

Western Digital, Maxtor, Fujitsu, Seagate

and out of my findings I do not see a clear winner
going back to what i read from some1 on pcr

'its all pot luck'

'it depends on whether ur harddrive came from a good batch'

and unfortunetly here all my harddrives have come from a crap batch

but the makes ive listed
i would stick to them

but if u insist u want a reccomendation. persoanlly out of them all go for seagate.
thats my view

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm quite partial to WD and Maxtor drives, although it really does depend on how lucky you are :) I'd go for any one with a good 3 year warranty :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Fujitsu are crapp ... now you know why they don't make 'em anymore. ;)

Maxtor
Hitachi (formaly IBM)
Seagate
Samsung
ExcelStor (new kid, cheap, not sure on quality ... 3 year warantee though)
Western Digital

... any more?

Reaction score
Hitachi/IBM hmmm

Had three of these buggers screw up one after another. Lost a total of .5 TB in data in 2 months. Guess wot, Yep u've guessed it I wont be buying them again!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
No IBM for me either (not made anymore thankfully!) - had 2 drives fail on me :(

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I had a maxtor Dimondmax 9 drive fail on me back in september, wasnt happy! a few friends have them and never had a prob. Now i got Seagate Baracuda. Touch wood, no probs!

Reaction score
All hard drives will fail regardless of price.

the lucky bit is when will it fail?

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Hitachi/IBM hmmm

Had three of these buggers screw up one after another. Lost a total of .5 TB in data in 2 months. Guess wot, Yep u've guessed it I wont be buying them again!

ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did u back up incremantally?

Reaction score
My company refurbishes western digital hardrives. Weather or not they are "High" quality, we give 3 years on the part so I may lean towards them personaly.

Reaction score
I use mostly Maxtor drives and not one has died in the last four years, I also have a lot of older drives, again mostly Maxtors and Western Digital and one Seagate. The only dead and dying hard drives at my place are other peoples'.

Reaction score
What didn't we have this post like 2 days ago, lol, thanks for quoting us all its saves time.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Raje said:
What didn't we have this post like 2 days ago, lol, thanks for quoting us all its saves time.
We have posts like this every other month ... :p

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
My preference is with Seagate, have been using them without fail for years. :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We did have this a couple of days ago and this was my two penneth worth.

I would now go for a Samsung or Seagate drive...;)

For the simple reason that most hard drive manufacturers reduced the terms of there warranty from three or five year warranties down to just one, Clearly as a cost cutting measure...

Although as you can see in my signature i own two Maxtors which i have not had any problem with, probably down to my harddock cooling rack doing a good job and keeping everything nice and cool....

From very recently I now restrict my hard drive purchases to those manufacturers prepared to stand by the reliability of there drives..

Both Samsung and Seagate still offer an extended warranty on there drives of three and five years respectively...:thumb:

Keeping a hard drive cool is the key to running a drive to its maximum potential for reliability...Hard drives are also happiest when spinning at a constant rate, so try not to turn your pc on and off too many times a day unnecessarily...

If your Overclocking make sure that the Pci bus is fixed at a standard multiple of the Fsb, as running the IDE bus out of specification can cause damage to your drives and corrupted data...

Hope thats helped you to make a decision...:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
For the simple reason that most hard drive manufacturers reduced the terms of there warranty from three or five year warranties down to just one, Clearly as a cost cutting measure...

Although as you can see in my signature i own two Maxtors which i have not had any problem with, probably down to my harddock cooling rack doing a good job and keeping everything nice and cool....

From very recently I now restrict my hard drive purchases to those manufacturers prepared to stand by the reliability of there drives..

Both Samsung and Seagate still offer an extended warranty on there drives of three and five years respectively...:thumb:

Keeping a hard drive cool is the key to running a drive to its maximum potential for reliability...Hard drives are also happiest when spinning at a constant rate, so try not to turn your pc on and off too many times a day unnecessarily...

If your Overclocking make sure that the Pci bus is fixed at a standard multiple of the Fsb, as running the IDE bus out of specification can cause damage to your drives and corrupted data...

Hope thats helped you to make a decision...:D

Excellent post there - spot on :thumb: I've would only go for drive that offer a 3 year warranty.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I'm quite partial to WD and Maxtor drives, although it really does depend on how lucky you are :) I'd go for any one with a good 3 year warranty :)

with you one this Ian:thumb: Maxtor drives

Reaction score
I have a couple of SATA samsungs in a RAID 0 configuration in my rig - they are un-audiable and uber-reliable (so far) - they are both a year and a half old.

If i wasnt confident that i was buying drives from a reliable manufacturer, i wouldnt have put them up in a RAID 0 config - as if 1 fails, i have lost data on BOTH!

We also have another of the same drives in the office rig, still working faultlessly.

The only brands i have had fail is Western Digital and Maxtor.

Ask a Question