hard drive causing webcam to fail

Reaction score
i recently bought a western digital eide hard drive. everything else worked fine except my webcam (wc-50) stopped working. i tried another webcam (philips pcvc 820K) and it didnt work as well. tried my older hardrive and webcams work fine. is there anyway i can get webcam to work with the new harddrive?
thanks
klaus

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Is it a USB webcam? ... I doubt very much it's the HD.

Did you install the HD as drive C and re-installed the OS? ... is so, install the MB drivers.

Reaction score
thanks for the coment. both webcams are usb. i am using the new hd as c: and i did install the drivers for both webcams (using the cds that came with the webcams). i have win 98 so i had to install the drivers before plugging in the webcam to usb port.

during the philips webcam software installation process it prompted me to plug in the webcam, even recognized the webcam but then the installation window froze when it tried to test the image. i've tried uninstall and reinstall process a few times for both drivers (restarting pc each time).

muckshifter

Reaction score
Did you RE-INSTALL your MOTHERBOARD DRIVERS?

:rolleyes:

Reaction score
sorry. i did install the mb drivers that came with the hard drive. i'll check to see if there is any updated driver out there.

Reaction score
checked my update log. i did download the updated driver for my motherboard (bought my pc in 99) in order for the new hard drive to work properly.

muckshifter

Reaction score
We really need more information ...

What is the motherboard? ... or make & model of computer.

What is the operating system?

Are you sure you've install ALL the latest drivers?

:confused:

Reaction score
Sorry, am new to forums. Its a Gateway desktop; Celeron 466, video card ATI rage, Win 98 SE (bought PC in 1999).
Model GP6-466C
Intel Freeman ZX motherboard 466Mhz Celeron RO (Gateway part number 2504262)
Gateway website has a section where it searches my PC for all hardware and then lists necessary drivers and I installed them all...
Is there a way for me to double check whether I have the latest drivers?

muckshifter

Reaction score
klaus said:
Sorry, am new to forums. Its a Gateway desktop; Celeron 466, video card ATI rage, Win 98 SE (bought PC in 1999).
klaus said:
Model GP6-466C

Intel Freeman ZX motherboard 466Mhz Celeron RO (Gateway part number 2504262)

Gateway website has a section where it searches my PC for all hardware and then lists necessary drivers and I installed them all...

Is there a way for me to double check whether I have the latest drivers?

No problem Klaus, I can be a cantankerous old sod at times.

Ok, Gateway’s website 'installer' may or may not do the job ... but I now know the basics of your system (it’s as old as I am (100 years) ); you may find that up-to-date support lacking.

As I see it you may have a couple of problems ... the Intel ZX motherboard was not that good & in conjunction with 98's support for USB, just downright diabolical.

Fitting a new hard drive should/will not have cause a USB device to stop working ... your just missing a driver somewhere … it is also quite common for USB ports to be put under a lot of strain, with that in mind I suggest you invest in a "Highspeed" external USB2 port ... cheap enough and you can always use it on any new system.

I do still believe you're missing a "correct" driver ... did you visit Windows Update Site, oh heck, they've discontinued that haven’t they, bugger. Try Intel's site and see if you can find your motherboard there. It is probably the 'updated' USB driver you’re looking for ... I'll do a little more searching also.

Reaction score
:D language ;)
chris cowers in corner
as he remembers that
sir mucks is bigger
older and more
authoratitive than
himself...

Reaction score
The webcam works, yay!!!
I re-installed windows (formatted the hd while I was at it). Went to windows update site and installed whatever they had to offer. And now the webcam's working.

Thanks a lot for your help. Especially for getting me off my hard drive fixation.

Ask a Question