Graphics Card....

kristel

Blonde - But salvageable
Reaction score
Erm... Purely hypothetically of course..... :spin:

Is there anyway to rescue a graphics card once you spill tea on it and it starts displaying things very strangely and bringing the system to a grinding halt?

Just wondering..... :D :crazy:

kristel

Blonde - But salvageable
Reaction score
If anyone's interested.... cooled boiled water and approptiate static precautions do actually work in this situation :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
So did you manage to get it working using cooled boiled water? I've never heard of that one before, how does that work?

Also - how'd you manage to spill tea onto a graphics card? ;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
How can you spill tea onto a graphics card when its already inside the case? Unless you were also inside the case which is most unlikely :D

And boiled water cooled off.........:crazy:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
kristel is correct

I wouldn't have bothered boiling the kettle ... but the point is to use 'distilled water' ... me, I would have just used the tap.

Yes it does work ... as long as it’s really dried out (an airing cupboard is ideal) before re-fitting there should be no problems.

Does NOT work with CDROM or floppy drives (though I got a couple working again. Keyboards take a little longer to 'dry out' and don't try it on a monitor. :eek:

A little more on keyboards ...
If you do spill, and you will, the most important thing to do is hit the 'off switch', best to use the wall socket as it will instantly turn off all power.

Remove the keyboard and promptly 'stick it in the shower' ... I found the shower is better as you can cover the area quicker than 'under the tap'. Ensure that the keyboard is placed upside-down on a towel and if you don't have an airing cupboard just leave it in a warm place for a couple of days.

Nope this is not a joke, it does work. If you’re using a cheap keyboard, use it as an excuse to go and get a nice new one.

:cool:

how'd you manage to spill tea onto a graphics card?
Easy ... just open the case and have a cuppa in your hand ... I have done it with a cup of coffee and managed to cover the whole inside of the computer. After washing and drying Nettie is using it now. :brow:

kristel

Blonde - But salvageable
Reaction score
Yeah I was typing an essay... reached for my Tea, knocked it over (D'oh!) and as I never have my case on.....

MuckShifter is right of course, I used the boiling to distil the water (don't have a dehumidifier or a purifier or anything like that so I had to ad lib).

The theory was... that if there are heavy solutes in the tea (like milk etc) that are causing crossed connections and interference on the card and hence making it useless.

The other assumption was that there is no permenant damage.

If both the above are true, a simple washing should, and did, work well :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I have always come across "Home Remedies" for dealing with practically everything but this has to be the first of its kind dealing with computers.

I learned something new on this thread

Ask a Question