Windows XP Grand Theft Auto 3 & WinXP

Reaction score
I just picked up GTAIII and there is a NVIDIA/WinXP problem with the game that I am having myself.

Windows XP + nVIDIA based cards (possibly other brands):
We have found a possible problem with Windows XP that manifests itself as graphical problems both in the game menu and also during game play. We have traced this problem to be a Windows XP problem.
Technically this problem is solved by the use of a newer version of
d3d8.dll than is shipped on CD with Windows XP. (The version on the
Windows XP CD that has problems is 5.1.26000.0 – versions tested
without error include 5.1.2600.15 and 5.1.2600.29)
Currently the only way we know to update this dll file is to install
the Windows XP Patch: “The Computer Cannot Enter Standby or Hibernate
If a Direct3D-Based Screen Saver Is Running (Q306676)” downloadable
from the following Web Site:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Patch/Q306676/WXP/EN-US/Q306676_WXP_SP1_x86_ENU.exe.
This update may in the future be available as part of an official
Windows XP Service Pack, a Windows XP Compatibility Update, or possibly a DirectX 8.1 update.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the Tip Cotita!

What do you think of GTAIII? I've had my eye on it for a while, but I didnt realise it was out already!

Reaction score
just played this game for about half an hour now and it rocks big time - shame they didnt have time to add multiplayer to it - oh well maybe by the end of the year there will be a multiplayer patch for it.

I highly recommend this game

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is it anything like GTA1/2? I'm really going to have to go and get a demo of this game :D

Reaction score
It's nothing like 1 and 2. It's sorta First person. But the weapons are great. The vehicles are great and the missions are also great fun. In the playstation 2 version you can also fly planes and things like that. Highly recommended however it's very addictive and time consuming!

-Peter

Reaction score
Good QA from the GTA III team. :roll: It's barely been out for a day.

I still have my eye on it, though. I wonder if there's a demo available.

Reaction score
The game absolutely rocks, the gameplay is completely different than the prequels. I really woundn't have named it GTA3 at all, but I think the basics are the same anyway.

Got SOF2 and I'm about to install it.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cotita
Got SOF2 and I'm about to install it.

You are not gunna be disappointed with this game at all - I loved playing this game when it was a beta release, and now the full version is just glorious. Have only played multiplayer so far, cos thats what I look for in most games, but look forward to playing the solo missions later this week - between GTA3 that is anyway ;)

Reaction score
GTA 3 on the PS2 is sweet,wheather I get it for the PC as well is something ill have to consider,think I should see it first!

Ask a Question