Getting broadband - need to know about wireless routers

Reaction score
Hello,

The telephone exchange where I live is getting broadband enabled on Wednesday, which I will be using as soon as I can. In my household there is a desktop PC, two laptops and an Xbox, all of which I would like to use Broadband for, and wirelessly if possible. I would also like the ability for multiple computers to be able to be on the internet at the same time. None of the three computers have wireless cards, so I assume I will need to buy three of those along with a wireless router. Can anyone advise me please on what products I need to perform these tasks, along with any recommended brands or models? I will likely be getting either a 1Mbps or 2Mbps connection.

Thanks in advance :)!

Reaction score
first of all i think u will need a wireless router

i would go for Netgear from my experience i would stay away from linksys!

somehow u will have to have ur wireless router in the middle of all ur components

i do think wireless networking is not realiable

check out this site

www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk

they will give u a helping hand on ur way to wireless networking sucess!

Reaction score
Hi psd99, thanks for your quick reply.

I don't think I'll need the router to be in the middle of all four components - I read on the side of a box of one at PC World about a year ago that it has a maximum range of 250 metres - which I way way more than the distance between any two points in my house.

I'll take a look at that website and bear in mind your warning about Linksys.

Reaction score
norfstar said:
Hi psd99, thanks for your quick reply.

I don't think I'll need the router to be in the middle of all four components - I read on the side of a box of one at PC World about a year ago that it has a maximum range of 250 metres - which I way way more than the distance between any two points in my house.

I'll take a look at that website and bear in mind your warning about Linksys.

no worries mate

well it all depends on ur house
ie ur walls and how many ur going through

ive had my wireless network for 6-8 months now i got myself a linksys wag54g wireless router biggest mistake ever. i know it says 250metres and so on but ive found that the signal strength over here has been very poor for me

i got two wirless cards one is a linksys the other is netgear i got this the other day for 28quid!

the linksys has sometimes let me down i think the netgear is just alittle bit better

wirless networking for me has a LONG LONG LONG way to go before it will actually be good quality!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Have to agree with psd here - the range claims on the router boxes are highly optomistic in the real world - as he says physical barriers such as walls all reduce range.

I have been reading an review on the new Belkin Pre-N router, which refers to the future 802.11n standard thats still in development - in tests it gave dramatically faster speeds and range than the fastest wireless-G routers.

Apparently Pre-N achieve the performance gains using multiple input multiple output technology whereas other Wi-Fi send data down a single channel.

The drawback however is the router and cards are expensive (£120 & £70), and when Wireless N eventually becomes certified somewhere around 2007 - it is possible Belkins equipment may not be compatible.

Reaction score
In my experience NETGEAR routers are dreadful there are various models of NETGEAR routers that all share the same problem, a problem that NETGEAR have admitted but have not fixed. The problem is they crash especially when dealing with multiple TCP/IP connections, like using P2P software. I would definately stay away.

I've always used Belkin wireless gear and always been happy with it.

Buy a wireless G router, a wireless bridge for the XBOX and a PCI wireless adapter for each pc that requires a wireless connection. all available from Belkin at reasonable prices.

One more thing, if your going wireless make sure you secure the network!

J

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
norfstar - I see your previous reply has 'disappeared' in the server upgrade!

If I remember correctly you said that you had just ordered a router and some USB wireless adapters, and that your componants are about 11 metres apart with one wall?

I would advise to stick to PCI wireless cards for the PCs as USB adapters will not give as good a range.

I also agree with Techy - I use Belkin wireless gear and am very happy with it - it also comes with a lifetime warranty.
And as he says its VERY important to secure your network.;)

Reaction score
Belkin gets another thumbs up from me!

Can i just ask guys, how DO you secure your network? I take it there is a simple way of turning on encryption so that anyone wanting to connect to your network needs to put a password in?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
bodhi said:
Belkin gets another thumbs up from me!

Can i just ask guys, how DO you secure your network? I take it there is a simple way of turning on encryption so that anyone wanting to connect to your network needs to put a password in?

You need to go into the set-up - on Belkin it is usually http://192.168.2.1/ - log in (if you haven't already set a password, just click submit), then go to Security and set it up - 128bit WEP would be the minimum.

I also highly recommend you set up a password ASAP to enter set-up otherwise anyone using your wireless signal can access your settings!

Reaction score
Its not a belkin router i have. Its the one that came with BT Broadband. Im really not sure about how to go about setting up this encryption. I probably should do it cause its my parents one and i leave home soon, dont want to leave them with a computer that could go horribly wrong!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Sorry Bodhi I assumed you were talking about a Belkin:blush:

If it is the Bt Voyager Wireless Router, you can access the setup by using http://192.168.1.1 - have a look at this tutorial for the Voyager 2100 (it should be similar for all models), it shows you how to setup the security.

After you have setup the wireless security, i would hide the SSID so people scanning won't find your network in the first place - although a more sophisticated bod can use software to reveal it.

Hope this helps:)

Reaction score
I don't know if this will help you since I use one of those hated and Dreadful Linksys routers(wireless G ). Go through the router and tweak it a little, I did like 3 or 4 things to my router which I don't think most do. I changed the fequency range in it cause my cordless phone was messing with it, I also made it so only those with a "LINKSYS Wireless G" could even detect my router (they have to be in tune to the same frequency as well). Then I went in and I did not set my wep key --- If I had m parents would never be able to get on-- I just manually entered my IP addresses into the router and stated that only they could have access. Whala quazi internet security without a wep --- I'm sure one of theses guys could find a way in, but no one in my community is that good.

Reaction score
Oh yea, If range ever becomes a problem with the router you can always get bigger antennas for the router and nic cards (they help a liitle, maybe 5-10 ft or so) as well as the portable hot spot, just a device that picks up the signal and bounces it out again with a lil more juice, GOD I can't remember the right name for it. Oh well have fun, HEHE and good luck setting up the console.

Ask a Question