Windows XP Gaming and W2k with SP3

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I know that a lot of members here are into gaming and have very rich experience in installation and tweaking. Recently I came across an article (do not remember where) which discussed the viability of Windows 2000 for gaming after the release of SP3. Anyone use W2k for gaming after updating the sytem with SP3?

I am not turning into a hard core gamer but I need to help my 13 year old son with it as he loves to play them (while I am away from the computer). His favourite are the USAF, FIFA and Porsche Unleased. He has few others but not sure which ones. He is very excited since we upgraded to Intel 2.53Ghz, D845PEBT2, Corsair 512MB DDR PC 2700 low latency,

I am using W2k in the office, on my laptop and also at home (currently dual boot with WinME) and I prefer to have same OS on all three as it is easier to maintain in terms of drivers and updates.

Any input greatly appreciated :)

Reaction score
Quad m8...sorry...only just seent his post!!

You probably realised by now that I am a keen gamer. You may not know, however, that i use Win2K. Not only that, but I used it before and after SP3. It didin't give me any problems before and it hasn't given me any problems since. In fact, most people i know who are serious gamers, swear by Win2K for its reliability and lack of fuss. XP, on the other hand caused absolute mayhem (and still does) for lots of games and input devices.

I have played very recent games and older ones with no problems. The only game I've come across that's not worked with Win2K is Star Wars Racer, but it didn't work with XP either until Lucasarts put out a patch.

I have to say, that I haven't had experience of XP Pro (and i'm considering trying that out the next time i decide to reformat my disk) but I have had many bad gaming experiences with XP Home edition. Win2K has been the most problem-free OS I've ever used.

I hope this is of some rteassurance.;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
As they say "Better late than never", so yes your post is of great help and now I can experiment with installing all of them and see if they run smoothly.

Thanks for taking time to explain.

Ask a Question