Gamestation Owns 7,500 Customers’ Souls

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Always read the T&C's... :D

7,500 online shoppers signed over more than they bargained for when they failed to opt out of an "immortal soul clause" added to the terms and conditions of retailer Gamestation’s website.

The company updated the terms of service on April Fool's Day as a joke, but did so to prove an important point, reports news:lite.

"By placing an order via this Web site on the first day of the fourth month of the year 2010 Anno Domini, you agree to grant Us a non transferable option to claim, for now and for ever more, your immortal soul,” said the updated T&Cs.

“If you a) do not believe you have an immortal soul, b) have already given it to another party, or c) do not wish to grant Us such a license, please click the link below to nullify this sub-clause and proceed with your transaction."

By failing to tick a simple check box consumers failed to opt out of the agreement, thereby granting the retailer the right to claim their souls. Gamestation said this proves that 88 per cent of consumers don’t read the terms and conditions of a website before making a purchase. Those who spotted the clause and opted out were also rewarded with a £5 voucher.

Gamestation said that it won’t be enforcing its ownership rights.
http://www.edge-online.com/news/gamestation-owns-7500-customers’-souls

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hahaha, I hope they don't try and claim them ;)

I'm surprised that 12% of people actually read the T&C's enough to spot the clause - good on them :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
That's very good. :)

Certainly a good way to remind people to read the Ts & Cs. I have to admit that I'm sure I would have been in the 88% group and not the 12% group.

Must remember next time. :blush:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That was a goodie but I wonder if Gamestation have alienated any customers?

As for my soul, I think it was last seen skulking under a cat litter tray at 74 Willowtree Avenue in Scunthorpe.

Does any ever read EULA's etc? I certainly don't and, like Mucks, I always have my fingers crossed when I tick the box ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I dont think its going to do them much damage, Hopefully most will see the funny side. :)

More info here...

"By placing an order via this Web site on the first day of the fourth month of the year 2010 Anno Domini, you agree to grant Us a non transferable option to claim, for now and for ever more, your immortal soul. Should We wish to exercise this option, you agree to surrender your immortal soul, and any claim you may have on it, within 5 (five) working days of receiving written notification from gamesation.co.uk or one of its duly authorised minions."

GameStation's form also points out that "we reserve the right to serve such notice in 6 (six) foot high letters of fire, however we can accept no liability for any loss or damage caused by such an act. If you a) do not believe you have an immortal soul, b) have already given it to another party, or c) do not wish to grant Us such a license, please click the link below to nullify this sub-clause and proceed with your transaction."

While all shoppers during the test were given a simple tick box option to opt out, very few did this, which would have also rewarded them with a £5 voucher, according to news:lite. Due to the number of people who ticked the box, GameStation claims believes as many as 88 percent of people do not read the terms and conditions of a Web site before they make a purchase.

The company noted that it would not be enforcing the ownership rights, and planned to e-mail customers nullifying any claim on their soul.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/04/15/online-shoppers-unknowingly-sold-souls/

Ask a Question