Windows XP Games Freezing?

Reaction score
I have just been given a new computer. This computer is supposd to be top of the range and able to play all the latest games and programs. But this is not the case. Every time i run a game it works for a short time then stops. It will then freeze for 1min then possibly work for a short period again before freezing. While the program is frozen you cant do anything to exit about from rebooting the computer. Please help.
i Have the following Spec:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
Windows XP
44+GB mem
Direct X 9.1

P.S when i asked the man who built the computer he said it ws because i was trying to play "old" games on my computer and my computer was to powerful for them. But i recently brougth the new brocken Sword (released middle of DEC) and it doesn't work.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
First of all, can I just ask that you make your titles for the threads descriptive, as it will help get faster answers where possible ;)

That is very bizarre indeed. Have you got the latest drivers for your graphics card from www.nvidia.com? When you say "freeze" does it stop movement in the game completely, and can you hear your hard drive inside the PC make a lot of noise (or see the light on the front of the case flash like mad)?

Reaction score
i will try and download the latest drive in minute
And yes it does stop completley and the hard drive does make a lot of noise

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
OK, it sounds like something in the background causing all of this. Try and download the newest drivers, and if that doesn't work, I have an idea which might :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Run the program "msconfig" from the run box, click on startup and then disable all items... This will prevent any programs from loading on startup, which may be causing some problems with your game :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll have to think on this one - as there are so many things it could be. Does it happen without fail, in every game, every time?

Reaction score
Have you considered viruses? Viruses can make even the most stable of systems crash for no apparent reason. I would suggest making sure you have antivirus software, ensuring it is updated and that it is running.
You can only try it !!!

Reaction score
still looking for a fix for this,

try the below,

do what ian said....

(1) Run the program "msconfig" from the run box, click on startup and then disable all items.

(2) but also in msconfig there's a tab called services, click the tab, tick the hide ms services box and untick whats left. reboot, try again.

NOTE: make sure that all the startup progs are still disabled. in other words make sure step one is definately done.

Reaction score
sorry my computer has been in to be checked. All they came back was that some games just don't work on some computers.
Please help me.
P.s the man tryed to cange the software b ut this had no effect

Reaction score
could be a couple of other things not mentioned.....overheating..or....psu underpowered....

Reaction score
CM4 problem CPU overheating Athlon

Hi Folks,

I have a similar problem where when i'm playing CM4 my whole system just shuts down after say 15-25 mins. It appears that my athlon processer XP3200 powerful though it may be, tends to overheat during this game. The game tends to use the processor 100% all of the time. My fan runs at 2192 RPM and came with the system. I dont know what I can do to allow me to play this game.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks
Bori5 :thumb:

Reaction score
Ummmmm i think a problem which was with my Make sure your heatsink and fan isnt clogged!!!!! Get all the dust out of there and try it again and you might need to add new Thermal paste on the heatsink..... correct me if im wrong!

Ask a Question