Bargain For sale: VGA Arctic Cooler for FX5700 Ultra

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Brand new and unused, £10.00 inc. delivery.

If you want Royal Mail Special delivery add £3.50 = £13.50.

Costs £16.39 new + p & p from Overclockers.co.uk.

I ordered this by mistake for my FX5700LE, my dumb mistake. Overclockers won't take it back as I've cut the top off the bubble pack it came in.

So I'd like to get a little money back on this thing ;)

If you have an FX5700 Ultra, it's a bargain for a tenner.

Now all I got to do is find someone with that card who wants one :D

Can accept postal order, cheque or bank transfer.

I have a Hexus rating, although at time of posting the Hexus site seems to be down.

If interested, post here or send me a PM.

Here it is:

cooler02.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Could you have not taken a hacksaw to it and made it fit? ;)
Nah, I considered all kinds of options, but this thing is truly custom made :(

Has 4 stand off pillars that I'd guess would only fit an FX5700 Ultra.

Maybe I'll frame it, put it in a case and name it 'folly'

It would probably find a place in The Tate Gallery then :D

Reaction score
Thats not a bad return... £19 in... £20,000 Turner prize money out. Nice!

Out of curiosity... why doesnt it fit the LE? Does it have 4 mounting holes? Are all the Arctic coolers the same except for the mountings? Or are the newer ones (ie 6800 ultra/ X800XT) beefier to cool the hotter chips? If I could make a cooler made for the 6800Ultra fit my 5700LE i`d be well chuffed...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It doesn't fit the LE cos the layout is completely different to that of that Ultra.

Now, I'm not familiar with all the Arctic Cooler layouts, but I'd imagine the LE version has only two fixing points - through the original heatsink fixing holes - whereas the Ultra has four.

This surplus Ultra cooler I have has a large copper heatsink to take in the RAM chips as well as the VGA core.

Clearly designed for a card other than mine :(

I will probably order the correct Arctic VGA Cooler although that will hurt, really it will...

Double money for one product.... sob

Reaction score
Cheer up flops... its early days yet... you`ll find someone to buy the cooler- even if you end up using ebay. :)

If it looked like there was a possibility of it being modded to fit an LE i`d buy it, but if that was possible you would have done it, right?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Has 4 stand off pillars that I'd guess would only fit an FX5700 Ultra.
Does anybody know if it will fit an FX5600/256, as my one makes a terrible noise on 'start-up' ... and yes, I know how I feel about video card coolers. :blush:

Flopps, if it will fit my card you have a sale. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Does anybody know if it will fit an FX5600/256, as my one makes a terrible noise on 'start-up' ... and yes, I know how I feel about video card coolers. :blush:

Flopps, if it will fit my card you have a sale. :D
I really don't know, I'm afraid, but I'd say 'doubtful'.

There isn't one of those specifically made for an FX5600, I do know that.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Kenny, interesting. Looks like I'm not the only Dork on the planet who ordered the wrong one then :D

No, I haven't sold it yet :(

The one that purports to fit the FX5700 series is Here It does look as if it will fit my FX5700LE, I may take a chance. It's around £14.50.

And Mucks, Overclockers stock a Vantec cooler suitable for the FX5600, it may suit your needs Third One Down. £8.81 + postage. Unfortunately, out of stock atm.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Thanks for that ... I bookmarked it. :thumb:

Anoying I need a "new" one already though, not been that long since we bought these, was it?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Anoying I need a "new" one already though, not been that long since we bought these, was it?
Less than six months, I'd guess.

My one still seems to be spinning away. I ended up putting that card in my daughter's machine, she doesn't use anything more graphically intense than Sims 2 & Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, and it copes with those admirably :)

Reaction score
Hmmm... the 5700 appears to be compatable with the NV6... which should be a better cooler, and I`ll be able to use it with the 6600, should I get one.

Kinda naggin at me why the cooler for the 5700 didnt fit that guys LE tho...

Reaction score
Heh heh... went into my local computer store for the cooler for the 5700LE. The guy pulled out the 4-pin version for the 5700 and told me it would be fine. I gently told him it wouldnt fit but he`d smelt a sale and he swore blind it would be fine because "all 5700`s have four mounting holes". I convinced him to check it against an LE sittin on the shelf.... he pulled it out the box and..... yup, 2 mounting-pin holes.

Money cant buy that kind of smugness :)

:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Thanks for that ... I bookmarked it. :thumb:

An update:

Mucks, my FX5600 fan packed up as well, I noticed it had stopped spinning.

I took off the grill/cage, brushed all the dirt out and gave it a squirt of WD40.

It's spinning now but I know it won't last, once fans start playing up rarely will they carry on for much longer.

I did buy the Arctic Cooler that is supposed to fit the 5700 series and guess what? It doesn't fit my 5700LE. It has four fixing pillars, the 5700LE has four holes, but they don't align.

And Overclockers won't take it back cos they say I've opened it. Damn them, this time I think they're in the wrong but I'm not going to bust a blood vessel over fourteen quid.

So that's TWO of these things I have for sale :mad: A tenner and eight quid respectively if anybody's interested. Including postage.

I'm never buying one of these things online again, ever.

And I am now probably going to buy a couple of those Vantec coolers I linked to earlier, for my FX5600 and my 5700LE, or maybe a couple of Zalmans, not sure yet.

Now excuse me while I go howl at the moon, throw up in a dustbin and headbutt a lampost...

Ask a Question