Flickering monitor?

Reaction score
Hi, have complete system from Carerra, since new the monitor has intermittently flickered, tried in vain to get some meaningful help through their customer support, they couldnt even identify the monitor they had shipped me so I gave up. The flickering is intermittent and seems to be worst when first switched on. What could it be, has been like this for ages (6 months plus), faulty monitor? Incompatability with graphics card? Ideas/suggestions? I would have thought if this were some sort fo terminal CRT fault it would have gone "pop" by now?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If it flickers, I can only think it can be a fault.

If it is under 6 months it must be covered by a warrenty though, so I would demand a replacement!

Can you describe the flickering a little more? The most common cause of something like that would be a problem in the signal cable (try giving it a jiggle!).

Reaction score
sorry to be repetative lads but does it flicker in safe mode ngalbrai?

it could be due to incorrect refresh rate or screen resolution.

apart from that it could be losse connection to base unit, there could be something interfearing like speakers or as ian said the monitors faulty, it might be an idea to try on a different base unit and see if the issue remains.

James

Reaction score
Have tried it with different refresh rates and at different resolutions, if the refresh rate is too high it doesnt display anything at all. It looks to me like some sort of signal problem, the flickering looks very much like the effect of having a ringing mobile phone near the screen. There is also a sort of jumping effect at the top and bottom of the picture. Thin bands of distortion flicker along the top of the screen from time to time. I have tried jiggling the cable before now to no effect. Unfortunately would be very difficult to try the monitor on someone elses PC or like wise a different monitor on my PC, so not very helpful there... I guess i just have to persevere with the hopeless customer support from Carerra?

I do have the woofer of my speakers next to the monitor, however with a previous setup it was not as close and the interfearence was still there? Have a couple of satelites on top of monitor too, will try having removed all speakers???

Reaction score
possibel that the speajers have permenantly damaged the monitor.

Safe mode?????????????????????????????

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh... I assumed the flickering was on/off.

Do you have a degauss button on your monitor? Try removing all objects that could cause interference and then "degauss" the monitor (sometimes in the on-screen setup).

I am no expert with these things, but if it is an interference problem it should be easy to sort out!

If you had a picture of the monitor problem with your digital camera it might be of some use! :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yep, as Ian suggested, move all speakers away, look for degauss option in Monitor Menu and degauss.

Looking at all the other info offered in this thread, I'd say it's a possibility that if the suggestion I've made doesn't work to cure the fault, you may well have a faulty Monitor or maybe even a dodgy video card. More likely to be the monitor though.

Reaction score
give it a good old push the plug in... or wiggle the connection into the monotor... then take down the refresh rate

caff.

Reaction score
Hi all, apologies for hi-jacking an old thread, but I've got a very similar problem.

Bought a new Digimate 17" TFT the other day and I'm occassionally getting some flickering. I dropped the refresh rate to 60hz, and this seemed to improve the situation, but didn't solve it entirely. I've checked the connections, and they're all fine, and haven't got anything nearby that could cause interference. I also tested it on another base unit, and it was fine.

Any ideas? Could it be a graphics card problem? I've got a 9800 Pro, which is about a year old, so I'd like to hope its not that! Any help would be gratefully received....!

Reaction score
You are running it @ 1280x1024 aswell right??

Don't know... my guess would be a faulty monitor....

Reaction score
Yep, running at 1280x1024. As it works OK on another base unit, I had kind of ruled out a faulty monitor....!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If its a TFT the refresh rate shouldn't make a difference really. Did you get any drivers with the monitor?

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
If its a TFT the refresh rate shouldn't make a difference really. Did you get any drivers with the monitor?

Cheers Ian - 'fraid not - Plug and Play all the way. Very confusing. Tempted just to return it anyway, but as I bought it from Aria, I could really do without the hassle!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Even Plug and Play monitors will probably have drivers (I know it seems daft ;)). I doubt it would fix the problem anyway, but you never know, it might be worth searching for some and updating your ATI drivers to the lastest.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Even Plug and Play monitors will probably have drivers (I know it seems daft ;)). I doubt it would fix the problem anyway, but you never know, it might be worth searching for some and updating your ATI drivers to the lastest.

I've just had a search on the Digimate site, and there were no drivers there! I'll try seeing if the gfx card drivers need updating. Otherwise, I'm at a loss....!

Ta again.

Reaction score
;) Most 17'' TFTs are best viewed at 60Hz refresh rate. Any problems with flickering monotors are likely to be one or more of the things already suggested:

Poor connection at PC or Monitor point - if possible check the cable on another pc.

Faulty or cheap cable itself - again test on another PC.

Faulty or overclocked video card - not likely to cause flickering of the monitor, but flickering of the image when certain applications are running. If the flickering only occurs when running some specific packages then it's probably a video card issue.

Power supply - if the monitor is plugged into a different power socket, does it still have the same problem?

Faulty monitor - if everything else has been eliminated then this must be the problem. If it does the same in another PC, it must be knackered - only solution is to get it swapped.

If the supplier doesn't believe it's faulty, then make sure it is by smashing it over the sales desk in front of them and demanding a replacement

Reaction score
Hi All - cheers for your comments. I've since tried the monitor on another base unit and it was fine. I then upgraded the graphics card drivers and this seemed to work - the monitor was fine was a few days, but the flicker has since come back again!

Any ideas what's wrong with the GFX card?

Reaction score
Had the same problem,turned out to be a table lamp? switch table lamp on FLICKER switch table of NO FLICKER!

Reaction score
itsme said:
Had the same problem,turned out to be a table lamp? switch table lamp on FLICKER switch table of NO FLICKER!

Mmm, now that's something that I didn't consider! Cheers, I'll give that a go. Pretty sure I've had flicker without the lamp on, but you never know....! Its intermittent, that's the problem.

Ask a Question