Windows XP Flaws in Service Pack 2 (Windows XP)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
A German Internet security consultant claims to have identified two "flaws" in Service Pack 2 (SP2) security update for its Windows XP operating system.

Read full story here

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I really wish these "people" would get off their horse & milk the cow.

SP2 is a dam sight better than no SP2 ... I'm gettin fed-up with 200 spams a day from Idiot people who have 'infected' machines and don't even know it.

If this so called security "expert" put more thought into helping 'fix' the holes I'd have better respect.

:mad:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I agree with you that SP2 is very good indeed, I have had no problems so far, Microsoft actually has done some very good changes and has also kept in mind the needs of the users with respect to Pop-up Blockers, user configurable update of Windows, very good firewall, Virus warning and monitoring the system to name a few.

Besides, which software on earth is foolproof the moment it arrives? None to my knowledge! Auto updates is really a good thing and if there are any loopholes Microsoft would surely update it on the site and with auto-update enabled, the system will take care of it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I really wish these "people" would get off their horse & milk the cow.

SP2 is a dam sight better than no SP2 ... I'm gettin fed-up with 200 spams a day from Idiot people who have 'infected' machines and don't even know it.

If this so called security "expert" put more thought into helping 'fix' the holes I'd have better respect.

:mad:
totally agree with you mucks, it's these "zombie" machines owned by careless or incompitant users that's causing this problem.

i was reading an article a bit ago where some american ISP's were terminating customers accounts. even though the spam is not intentionally coming from them, they are still in breach of there terms and conditions!

Wish the ISP's of the UK would get there act together along with the minority of the general public.

maybe an article on how to prevent somebody using your PC in this way would be an idea mucks?

James

Reaction score
service pack 2 is more like a whole new os not an update lol, i read about it quite a bit, and found out quite a bit.

you get a new security control centre panel applet that pulls together status reports and setting for windows' own firewall, its automatic updade feature and some third party antivirus programs. The advantage of this is you no longer have to swith the stuff on, woo hoo, user friendly eh? microsoft strongly reccomends switching on update feature THE SECOND you get SP2.

another thing the service pack does is fixes internet explorer, it gets its own pop up stopper slid in there nicely, which will do a better job of blocking unwanted executable codes (malicios programs) and make it harder for users to lower IE's security settings, (sneaky) but still sp2 doesnt block every single loophole, it will although block the likes of blaster and sasser, the os still only block incoming attacks only making it completely useless to trojans horse backdoor and spyware threats that may already be on the PC, oh dear your not completely safe. so users should still install a third party firewall such as the free download sygate or personal firewall or zone labs zone alarm.

the bottom line; even though you have SP2 it doesnt mean you should stop your security efforts, keep them going and you will be even safer. as microsoft its self is more than willing to admit, this is not a silver bullet solution.

thankyou

Reaction score
thanks thermaltke, i really do like reading the same things twice!!!!

it was boring enough the first time

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Techy said:
thanks thermaltke, i really do like reading the same things twice!!!!

it was boring enough the first time
oooooooooooooooooooooowwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! Bitchy!! :D

You is right though ;)

Reaction score
alright keep ya hair on, but i dont see nobody going into that much professional detail :p you definately are in a bit of a mood today, and most od that wasnt repeated....

Reaction score
okay okay most was repeated as i have just looked back but come on the detail!!!! and the research it took to do that phew, lol

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Pack it in ... all of you. :rolleyes:

That was a good informative post Thermaltke. :thumb:

maybe an article on how to prevent somebody using your PC in this way would be an idea mucks?
Bank holiday weekend comming up ... and nothing to do, I just may put pen to paper.

Ask a Question