Flashing red USB light on Modem

Reaction score
Hi, Can anyone help me out with a modem problem?! I have a dell laptop and have recently sign up for wanadoo broadband. I have set up the modem and phone lines etc correctly and installed the relevant software. However, the USB light on the speedtouch modem flashes red for about 10 seconds and then turns off completely. When I remove the usb cable from the laptop and attach it again the red light flashes again. The phone line support at wanadoo are completely useless and tell me something different everytime i call them!.

has anyone had this same problem are know how to resolve it? I would be most grateful for any help anyone has to offer.

many thanks

Mark

Reaction score
Should go with a REAL isp - Zetnet.co.uk have the best technical support, EVER. Full stop.

No seriously, If you have plugged everything in as instrcted, and installed everything on the CD then there may be a problem with the modem? Does the CD set up the modem for you automatically?

Have you got microfilters in every (used) telephone socket in the house? If you dont, the modem cant connect

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply mate! not too sure what you mean about the CD setting up the modem? Basically I installed the software that i received from wanadoo and then when it told me too i connected the leads etc and the modem itself. I only have have one USB port on the laptop, could that be the problem? maybe not enough power going to it? thats what one of the bods on the helpline thought anyway!.

Thanks

Mark

Reaction score
I would imagine the CD sets the modem up automatically then.

You should have enough power to run the modem - does it have an external power supply?

You usually only ever get power problems when you are running multiple devices from a non externally powered Hub - and even then Windows XP is clever enough to tell you it cant shift that much power...

What O/s are you using - is it XP?

What about the microfilters? Try pressing the reset button on the modem, uninstalling the software, and try it again if you still cant makeit work.

chris

Reaction score
Hey,

Starting off...

>Postill there is more than one REAL isp if you have not noticed, companies which offer a internet connection are therefore REAL isp's not just Zetnet. Oh and there are also companies which do your Zetnet 2meg for less than your paying :p

Anyway back to the point,

I am with Wanadoo myself, and you should actually receive the broadband pack a few days before the line is due to go active. You need to make sure you've installed the software on the Wanadoo cd before you begin plugging in the SpeedTouch modem, as windows can just ignore it in the future if it can't find the drivers.

If the red light is flashing it probably means that you're line hasn't been activated yet. When it flashes green your line is active and it's establishing a connection.

I would either ring Wanadoo or email their support guys and make sure the line is active, as i know when i got broadband, we got the modem etc.. many days before the line was activated.

HTH,

Chris,

Reaction score
(imrie) shutup you tart - i just don't want to go with your mates ISP, email tech support and get you ;)

I didnt say there wasn't more than one real ISP!

Do you know if your line is activated?

Check the filters?

Im having problems with my 2meg at the moment - After getting through to an awesome guy named Lee (the phone didnt even have time to ring once fully before he picked up) hes ordered us a BT line check to see why the signal is being degraded.

Reaction score
Depends which exchange your going to Postill you might be jsut on the 'EDGE' of the 2meg limit, as its something like 2.5km from the exchange to get 2meg broadband.

Anyway don't call me a tart LOL

Chris,

Reaction score
It will be the Bordon exchange, i don't think theres one in Blackmoor...! So its a fair trek away...

An engineer is being sent out to check the line, and will even come to our house to see if theres a problem.

BT may increase the power to our line i heard - i think for higher speeds they increase the Gain - which also increases any line noise, therefore corrupting the data travelling through it and giving me dial up speeds on a 2Mb connection. Hopefully they will get it sorted soon, its their line not ours, it better be fixed!

Lee said that even christmas tree lights can degrade your line speed with elctromagnetic interference, as he said that telephone cables are not sheilded.

You get anywhere proctor?

Reaction score
You could try uninstalling the modem drivers and remove via the control panel add and remove progs. Re-aquire speedtouch drivers from online resources : http://www.speedtouch.com/support.htm

Make sure you have your TCP/IP config set to obtain IP automatically, also make sure if you have a firewall, make a rule to allow it to broadcast or drop it for the pupose of testing then config afterwards,

If you are using an exstension cable on your phone line then take the PC and modem to the primary source in the house and try to connect from there.

Or try using a different USB port especiallly if you are using a PCI hub on a Packard Bell sytem, it could be that you have a USB 2.0 product in a USB 1.0 port that does not want to see it (TRY CONNECTING VIA THE USB ONBOARD, not in the fronrt of the case but at the back, this occurs if you are using coolermaster centurion cases)...

If you have access to a normal dial up modem try and get it to connect to Inet and check your broadcast traffic.

Install modem drivers then install the modem. I have had similar problems with clients I am contacted by, this includes AOL, FREESERVE. PIPEX seem to have the only trouble free set up I have seen in a while.

if all else fails take your HDD out of your sytem and scan it using another machine, it could be a bug you have picked up that is causing a denial of service, GOOD PROBABILTY...

Just realised you are a Laptop head, so PCI stuff forget and USB,try using another machine if you can or take it to a friend with DSL and see if you get green lights.
Goodluck

Ask a Question