File Type Associations and Limited User Accounts

G

In Win XP Pro, I'm having a problem with the file type association for music playlists. The file extension is "M3u" and it had been sent to open in the WinAmp application. For some reason, when I installed the last update for Windows Media Player, the .m3u association got sent to Windows Media Player instead, and I can't seem to get it to re-sent to WinAmp.

When in a limited user account (my daughter's user account), I was able to re-set the association for .m3u to WinAmp using the "Open with ..." method. When I checked the associations on the File Types tab in My Computer, the association reads WinAmp. But the .m3u file still opened in Media Player. I couldn't find any settings in the Media Player options that specified file type associates.

So I thought perhas that the file association change had to be made as an Administrator. So I logged in as an Administrator, changed the association from Media Player to WinAmp, and then logged out of the Admin account. Then my daughter logged in to her Limited account (I did not re-boot). The association in the limited user account was back to Media Player.

Any suggestions on how to get this file association set propertly? Shouldn't changing the association in the Administrator account apply to the Limited User accounts also? Incidentally, I have fast user switching turned off due to filtering software (Cybersitter) that is installed.

K.

Ask a Question