Feature Freeze for Linux 3.0

Reaction score
The feature set for the Linux 3.0 kernel, the next major update to the open source operating system, is close to being finalized and contributors are being told to submit their patches to the list of candidates as soon as possible.

In a posting to the Linux kernel mailing list, which was also posted on the Linux and Main Web site, kernel developer Rob Landley told other developers that once Linus Torvalds, the founder of Linux, returned from the "Linux Lunacy Cruise" in the Caribbean on October 27, there would most likely only be one more set of last minute merges before "we switch over to the 3.0-pre or 2.6-pre series.

"So everybody, try these patches. If they work for you, say so. It's no guarantee, but Linus has said endorsements from testers can make him feel more comfortable about a patch. If your patch isn't on the list, speak out now. Again, some of the things on this list won't make it into 3.0. It's just candidates. But everything that is not on this list in about 7 days is probably going to become 3.1 material by default," he said.
The full article can be read over at eweek.

I find this interesting, because just a few weeks ago, Linus and a bunch of other kernel hackers were debating whether the upcomming stable release would be called 2.6 or 3.0. Linus was pro-2.6, arguing that when they switched to 2.0, it was a complete rewrite and old code was broken. On the other side, they're saying that they'll run out of numbers with the current naming scheme if they don't switch now, and there have been a lot of speed and other improvements to this release during the 2.5 dev cycle, and it's now or never.

I agree with both their points of views, and understand what they're getting at. Personally, I don't think there will be a rewrite within the next few years, as when 2.0 was designed, it was made modular, so there's no need for a new design, and I don't see that there will be any changes where current code will be broken, so it's time to switch to 3.0, simply because this is considered a big release (bigger than 2.0 to 2.2 and 2.2 to 2.4).

I'm anxious to see what Linus has to say about all this when he gets back from his vacation. :) Seems like they're set on 3.0, though.

Reaction score
Thanks for that Eric, I had missed that little snippet of news, I think 2.6 would make good sense, it is in keeping with the standard and it makes it clear that it is not a complete re-write. and what is to stop them from using 2.10 as a version number.

Reaction score
Like I said, I agree with both points of view. The side that wants 3.0 is saying that there are so many improvements in this version that it merits a point-ohhh release. I tend to agree, if you take a look at all the improvements with virtual memory and the like, the speed improvements will be phenomenal. They also say that if we don't do it now, there will never be a 3.0 release.

I'll try and pull up a few usenet articles for you, if you like, Richard.

Ask a Question