Excel Excel Won't open Files

Reaction score
I'm using Office XP and just this morning - Excel will no longer open files if I double-click on them from the desktop. I found another post from 2003 where 2 suggestions were made to fix this problem. One was to make sure that in Tools->Options->General - Ignore Other Applications is NOT checked. (IT ISN'T). The other suggestion was to re-register the Excel program by choosing Start->Run and typing in excel.exe /regserver. (I DID THAT.) Still Excel will not open files if I double-click them from the desktop. It will open the same file just fine if I choose File->Open from the menu.

Any help would be appreciated. Excel was working just fine last night.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you hold down the shift key and right click on the excel file, try clicking on "open with" and then select excel (and tick the box to open with Excel every time).

Reaction score
Wow - I thought you were on to something. But I just tried re-associating the file type with Excel (by telling it to always open that type of file with Excel) and that doesn't work either. When I choose Open With from the shortcut menu - files will not open either. Only way I can get them to open is to launch Excel first and select File->Open from the menu.

Do you suppose re-installing Excel would help>

Ask a Question