DVD-RW drive not recognizing DVD media HELP!!!! any MS MVPs out there???

A

akbob

I have a problem that is driving me up the wall. My Sony DRU500-A
combo DVD+-R/RW drive was working fine up to about a month ago, when
all of a sudden it stopped recognizing DVD media of any sort, whether
it is a data DVD+R that I burned on this same system, a DVD-R, or even
a commericial DVD movie. It will, however, read & write CD media
without a hitch. This same drive will recognize the above mentioned
media when I install it into another Win98 PC that I own. A curious
thing is that my DVD-ROM drive will play DVD movies but not DVD-R
recorded movies, which it is supposed to be able to play (not really a
big problem, but I thought I'd mention it) My specs are as follows:

Windows XP Home-clean install
ASUS P4B533-VM
Pentium IV 2.4
1G PC 2700 DDR RAM
Soundblaster Live 5.1
PNY GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64MB
LG DVD-ROM drive (installed as master on secondary IDE)
Sony DRU-500A (slave on seconday IDE)

before the "computer gremlins" came in at some unknown time, this
hardware setup worked flawlessly. I don't do a lot of adding &
subtracting software, about the only thing I've been doing is
installing Windows updates & updates to Norton AV. I use Nero 5.5 for
burning, and even went to version 6 "Ultra" a week or so ago thinking
this might help, but no use. Sony's drive check SW shows no read/write
problems with their unit, & the fact that it works in another machine
suggests it's not a bad unit, but some sort of driver issue. I'm at
the point of considering a format/reinstall of XP, but don't want to
since everything else is running at 99.999% perfect. I would welcome
anyone's help. I would welcome either reply via this NG or e-mail. TIA

G

This is weird. I think I may be having a similar problem as you. My computer is recognizing dvd media but I cant seem to burn anything. I'm using the same blank dvd-r's that I was using a month ago. I havent burned anything for a while (about a month) and now I cant seem to burn a dvd, they keep failing. I also have nero 6 and a similar setup to yours

Windows XP Pr
Pentium IV 2.
512mb PC 2700 DDR RA
Soundblaster Audigy
ATI Radeon 9700 Pr
LiteOn DVD-ROM driv
Sony DRU-500

One thing though is that I was able to burn to a dvd+rw last week. But every dvd-r I try to burn fails. I've killed 4 blanks so far and I tried burning less data also because previosly I tried burning 4.4gigs of data so I thought maybe nero somehow wasn't reading the data size correctly or something, but it still fails with only 4 gigs of data. This should be fine

I never had any problems before, and like you all I've really installed are windows updates and norton av updates, a maybe 2 video games but I really dont think they are the problem

I'm guessing there's something wrong with nero, but I dont have another burning program to try out
Any suggestions would be apprieciated.

A

Anthony Procissi [MSFT]

Hi Spectrenine,

Is this Nero Ultra Edition 6 you are using?
Nero just came out with a new update package, within the last couple of weeks I believe.
I realize it was working before, but could you try the updates?

There's quite a few paths to burning DVD's in Nero 6 (Nero Express, Nero Burning Rom, the drag and drop MWR, etc...) and other variables that could could be factors (If you have InCD running, if you launch via SmartStart or the Start Menu, etc..)

If the Nero Updates don't help, could you give a little more detail, i.e. step by step instruction of what you are doing?

example:
1. Launching SmartStart
2. Clicking the DVD tab
3. Selecting "Make Your Own DVD Video"
etc..

Please include any and error messages you might get from Nero.

Thanks,

G

Dito, it worked a few months ago but then it would not burn DVDs it will not recognize RW+R and did not find dvd-R until today. Ist the storage support said it was bad media until I told them I was using sony media. 2ndly the drive check software I downloaded from sony storage supports hangs up a lot

1)Next they had me change the unit to Master on IDE channel 2 on its own lonly ribon. restart
2)Then they had me remove any buring software, and the MyDVD and record now have such a problem being remove they have special instructions from deleting files to removing items from your registry, That was 8 programs INC nero 5.5
3)They had me remove checks from use this drive to burn cd.s in advance setting of the drives properties in the device manager
4) update the firmware from their sit
5)go to the Ide ATA atap device in the manager and advance tab to change devices from Dma if avail to pi
6) They sent me alink to update ascpi driver 471.2 from adaptecs site
7) the had me reinstall just the record now program and it did try to recognize and burn a DVD-R but failed it still will not reccog nize blank DVD +RW media (please insertr blank disk
8) lastly they had me update may Motherboard bios
9) I am waiting on the XP service pack CD to come and then it still does not work I get to call back provided it happen in the 2 week period of support that I paid $20 for because technicaly my warranty ran out 2 month ago. even though I intsalled the unilt a month after I bought it and these problems stared about 3 months ago. I thought since it worked before that it was a software update issuse and not possiblly a defective unit. They tell me there is no repair for out of warranty, meaning it might be trash. If any ofd these help someone let me know or if you find a solution

Ask a Question