DVD Burner prices

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I’m about to buy a DVD burner, the Pioneer OEM 106, so had a shop around. Thought you may all find this interesting.

Pioneer A106 DVD RW OEM Prices, all inclusive of VAT & shipping:

Scan:……………........£145.70
Overclockers UK:…£141.29
Kustom PC’s:……. .£141.94
Dabs:……………….....£144.87
Tekheads:……….. ..£136.37
Komplett:…………....£148.62
Overclock.Co.Uk:...£154.50
CCL:……………….......£141.36

Novatech wouldn’t supply shipping charge until order form was completed so I didn’t bother. Their price before shipping was £139.82, so it probably would work out around £145.00.

Misco & Chillblast don’t stock the 106, I didn’t check with any others.

I’ll probably go with Tekheads, had one order from them so far, they seemed OK, though I’m tempted to shell out a little more and go with Kustom PC’s as they provide an excellent customer service.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Matt. I've been researching DVD burners for some time now and there appears to be some questions about upgrading the firmware with the cheaper Sony models.

Also, I wouldn't purchase anything from e-buyer if I were held over an open fire :)

I've had a lot of problems and very shoddy service from them in the past. 40 minute waits on the phone, 5 week RMA's and refusing to exchange faulty products to name but a few.

E-Buyer may be cheap, but, imo, they're bad news.

Also, I've read nothing but good reports on the Pioneer Model.

Reaction score
4x dvd r
2x dvd rw

or
8x dvd r
4x dvd rw
and othher basic ones for the cd rw etc..
retail boxed etc

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, in the end (last mid-September) I bought the A106 OEM version from tekheads.

This is a fine burner and has already had a lot of use.

But now I see this same model and others such as the MSI with 8mb cache, can be picked up for around £85.00 :(

Still, at least I didn't fork out the initial asking price of £220.00 when they first appeared.

I wonder whether prices will drop still further? And also, when oh when is the best time to buy? Who knows? :D

Reaction score
Prices will drop yes..

for e.g. take the Flash memory sticks, something new comes out to replace floppys and already they are taking out floppy drivers.

When there was no DVDs around and CDRWs was liek the dearest thing on the face of the earth, hey created DVDs then DVD R/RW
so yeh soon there will be a new modem cd drive or sumamt silly liek a Midi disk / DVD rw or summat silly..

all you have to do is look back in time and look at how it has changed over the last few years..

then think about in a few years form now

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
FireVenom, you have a point.

Dunno though, there comes a time when the 'wanting' overrides the 'let's wait for the price to fall' line of thinking.

I'm still hanging out for the 9800XT prices to drop but it looks like I may have a long wait. Or I may just go for the 9600XT, I can just about afford that, but £350.00 for a 9800XT? pffffft :D

Reaction score
You not intrested in the All-in-wonder version?

as personaly i prefer the all-in-wonder version of the ATI Chipset cards...

if not that then the GF quad range are pretty nice..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nope, not interested in the AIW version, I don't watch telly. And Asus and Gigabyte do VIVO versions.

Also, I can live without the Media software suite that goes with the AIW, have stuff that can cope with most of that.

I do actually have a Pinnacle Rage TV card in one machine, it's there only to serve as a video in device, it works well, but I don't use the TV Tuner.

Good suggestion though, thanks for the input :)

Reaction score
any time mate :) just there are some wikked AIW versions, full Vid Phono input and still a beast of GFX card :)

but id say look at the GF Plat / Quad range (wont recomend any others as i aint a nvidia lover / gforce)

ATI owns any nvidia / gf chipset out there