Dual Display & S-Video Out

Reaction score
Evenin' all,

The Story

Right the story is i've got a Connect 3D ATI Radeon 7000 (outputs: VGA/DVI/S-Video), now, the dual display i have setup using the VGA and DVI outs works beautifully, when i connect my tv via the S-Video out that also works fine (can't get tri-display to work, by design i think), i can then extend my display onto the tv, all ok. so whats the problem? well, if i disable S-Video out and enable my second monitor (DVI), whilst leaving the S-Video cable in place, the monitor has a purple tinge, although i like purple i would rather it didn't do this!

The Walkaround

If i disconnect the S-Video cable from the tv leaving the other end connected the the graphics card then the purple monitor goes back to normal, BUT, now it's fuzzy!, if i disconnect the S-Video cable from the graphics card then all is ok, no purple and no fuzziness, great! (nothing personal fuzz ;)

The Question

Is this by design because S-Video aren't supposed to be a permanent fixture or do you think the card is faulty? (quite poss, it is connect 3d after all)

I have tested the above in windows as well as out, it's the same in BIOS if the S-Video cable is connected then the display is purple.

The Specs

XP Pro
PIII 866Mhz
Intel D815EEA 815 (BIOS v A11)
512MB SD PC133 RAM (2 x 256MB)
Connect 3D ATI RADEON 7000 (4X 64MB)
PCI 56K Modem
PCI 10/100 Realtec NIC
PCI Soundblaster ES1371, ES1373

The Nasty Man Who Made You Read All This!

Cheers All

:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
A reply from the confused!

Well Techy, I have got no idea why your graphics card should be doing this! I do have a few suggestions, which you have probably thought of, but worth mentioning:

• Check the Connect3D Radeon 7000 FAQ, see if it is a known problem.
  • See if you can flash your graphics card BIOS to a newer version.
  • Wear purple sunglasses so it looks like this all the time anyway ;)
The fact that it changes when you disconnect it from the TV but not the graphics card suggests that it is getting some sort of feedback somehow... I dont know the architecture of the Radeon 7000 graphics cards, but I'm sure it shouldn't go purple/fuzzy.

Your best bet may be to try a new cable (or at least borrow one), as it seems strange that it is fuzzy when it is connected to your graphics card, but not to the TV - it technically isnt making any connections (as far as I am aware!).

Reaction score
ooooh! bullet point's that a new feature?

well chief, if the cable's connected to the graphics card, true it isn't making any connections but it must be sending a signal otherwise it wouldn't know when a device was attached, that sound right?

i will try a try a different cable, i'll secretly borrow one from work tomorrow and let you know.

By the way what are micro direct like with faulty goods? are they usually pretty good?

James

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Bullet points should be enabled by default, try going to the "user control panel" to the left and then options, and make sure you are using the WYSIWYG editor when you click new reply - makes it much easier ;)

Microdirect were pretty good with me, but you have to explain it fully to them :) Its about 30 seconds walk for me, so its really handy :D

Reaction score
i'm in stockport so a bit further, last time i went it took me 2hrs to get there, i'm crap at directions! lol, wasn't amused at the time!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Manchester can be a pain to navigate ;) If you head straight down the A6, you can turn off just before the city and be there in 2 mins :)

Its such a strange building for a computer place, I expected a warehouse not an old Victorian mansion!

Reaction score
can't beat originallity!

solved the above issue.

it appears it's just by design, responce from connect 3D,

[Tony - 28/4/2004 11:4:2] Hi, you are correct, cannot have 3 devices connected at once, please disconnect the s-video before re-enabling the second monitor. Regards Tony

Ask a Question