Dual CPUs?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Dual CPUs before? I'm quite a multi-tasking person on my computer, and 10 windows open at once is quite the norm!

I really want to know if a dual system would be alot better, as it is not going to cost too much more. I'd probably go for an AMD SMP solution, as it would be cheaper by far!

Reaction score
that's an interesting question.

i'm pondering a Tyan m0b0 for a dualie duron rig...
seeing as i have a Antec 510wt (24-pin molex) PSU for it.

the one area im not yet clear on is which chips are definitely SMP capable. i don't wish to mod XP's for it, nor buy MP's for it...
so i need to clarify the duron issue.

as far as multi-tasking windoze it's sposed to work a treat.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ian

Well, believe it or not even with 10 windows open your still only using 10-15% (based on a 1gig T'bird) of the potential power of the CPU.

There are several "dual" motherboards from the leading manufactures to choose from; Abit BP6, DFI TA64B, ECS B6BXT-A, FIC KW15, Gigabyte GA 6BXDU, Iwil DBS100, Soyo SY-D6IBA-2 and from Intel Tyan Tomcat i815T S2054. :D

There are currently three AMD MP (multi-processor) to choose from; 1600+ (£97), 1800+(£109) & 1900+(£127) (prices are +VAT) all are:-

QuantiSpeed™ Architecture
Smart MP Technology
Advanced 266MHz Front-Side Bus with ECC (Error Correcting Code) Support
384K Total High-Performance, Full-Speed Cache
3DNow!™ Professional Technology (72 instructions, full SSE compatibility)
Support for Double Data Rate (DDR) Memory
Stable Socket A Infrastructure
The Power of a Reliable Partner

.:N2:. correct me if I'm but isn't the Tyan m0b0 an Intel dualie? Try the Tyan Tiger MPX As for using Durons?

Doing things we ought not to do
Naturally, some of the Tiger MPX's spec-sheet restrictions looked like challenges to us. So we tried a bunch of messed up configurations to see if they would really work. Among them:
Running a pair of 1GHz Durons — Running Durons in SMP is an attractive alternative to building a single-processor system based on a more expensive Athlon XP, so there's some real interest in this one. Like the Tiger MP before it, the Tiger MPX had no trouble at all running a pair of "Morgan" Durons (the kind derived from the Athlon MP's Palomino core) in a dually config. In fact, we've got a full set of benchmarks with dually Durons.
I would save your monies and get the MP chips. ;)

And to get the best from your Dual system you'll need Windows XP, W2K will do.

Enjoy!
Mucks

Ask a Question