dual boot

G

I have installed win98 and winxp. I installed 98 first on a fat32 partition then winxp to an NTSF formatted partition. Winxp is working fine as C: and sees the other drive in disk management with no drive letter just*. My problem is I don't know how to access the fat32 partition without using third party software. I have not installed recovery console, will this make a difference. Any suggestions?

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

How did you do the dual boot installation? Are you using a 3rd party boot manager? In Disk Managment, you may just need to assign a drive letter, to see the FAT32 partition. But from the sound of it, the Win98 install is now on D:, and since C: is NTFS, the 9x installation won't boot.

G

I am afraid to assign a drive letter for that very reason. I have used Partition Magic but again it automatically assigned C: to the NTSF partition. Yet, Win98 was also installed on C: originally in it's partition. I can use both drives now but have to use the PM8 boot selection. It's not bad but not the way I wanted it. I have a kind of seperate booting but not real dual booting.
Thanks for the help

Ask a Question