Drives not showing

Reaction score
my (LG) dvd drive and Sony CDRW drive are not being recognised under anything MY Computer etc Drive D and E not appearing.

Evident that there is power to both and when run Device driver there is a yellow ! against both devices.

Under Device status the following message is shown:

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hello wonderwill

You don't say which OS you’re using?

Anyway this should help ... go to Device Manager and delete the secondary IDE channel ... restart and Windows should find & install any devices.

Ensure your BIOS are set to "Auto” if it can, for your CD drives.

Reaction score
Continuing hardware problems

I uninstalled the secondary ide channel as suggested. Rebooted and the CD and DVD were installed with the yellow exclamation mark. There is a message that there may be some problem with the hardware installed.

Help please!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware

we're flogging a dead horse if you don't know what Operating System you are using!

:rolleyes:

Reaction score
I have the same problem in windows xp. i installed a plextor dvd burner about 5 five weeks ago, in addition to a pre-existing cd burner and all this time things have been fine. However a few days ago i noticed that neither of the drives show up anywhere and in device manager they have this yellow exclamation point next to them. error code 41. i haven't changed any settings, in the bios etc. I have tried switching the cables around, disconnecting the drives independently, and switching their position on the motherboard with the harddrives. any suggestions would be great

Reaction score
Ummm make sure that the devices are registering in your bios firstly!! Then make sur that if you have the drives on the same ide cable that they are set as MASTER and SLAVE and also make sure that you have the master plug on your ide cable plugged into the master drive and slave plug plugged into the slave drive i have known little things like this to cause these problems!! I have even found a normal bogstandard modem to interfear with graphics on boot up causing computers not to boot properly!!!!
I hope my advice has helped you!!!
:)

Ask a Question