Dell Laptop

Reaction score
Hi Boys and Girls,

I need to upgrade a Dell Inspiron 3800 (think thats the model) from 64Mb to 128Mb. Dont know a whole lot about laptop memory. Think i need PC100 64Mb dimm, but just wanted to confirm this before going to e-buyer. Also, am i best to buy the likes of Kingston or just some cheap crap? Dont want any crashing problems etc, although, i dont know why anyone would want crashing problems. Anyway.....

Thanks.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I would avoid cheap generic RAM if at all possible, I'd recommend Crucial if you are after memory - not only because it will be guaranteed to work, but it comes with a good guarantee, gets there next day usually, and they are cheap!

I'm not sure how much e-buyer is, but Crucial only seem to do a 128Meg PC100 CL2 DIMM for your laptop (and a larger 256 one) for about £36:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/lis...&cat=RAM&model=Inspiron+3800+Series&submit=Go

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just checked Ebuyer now, and they seem to sell mainly crucial/kingston, which is good. Although with delivery it is probably more than crucial, as it is a couple of quid cheaper (Crucial is free special delivery).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Know what your getting will work ... use Crucial. ;)

Important information about your system
If the unit shipped with 96MB or more, both upgrade sockets are filled and you will need to remove some memory in order to upgrade.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, didnt realise crucial were so well respected. Thought Kingston made the best memory. Ebuyer and crucial website are about the same price, any suggestions where i should buy from? Or is it 6 and two 3's?

Cheers

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
6 and two 3's for the memory itself, but Crucial do free next day special delvery and I've never had any problems with them before - I'd go for direct anyway!

Reaction score
i agree with ian and muchshifter, crucial is the best for all your laptop memory buying needs

Ask a Question