dead vaio pcg-sr27

Reaction score
I recently purchased a second-hand Sony Vaio PCG-SR27 laptop. Supposedly, the system was acting strange and would lockup from time to time but didn't seem like a problem for me as I would reformat the harddrive and reinstall an OS. Turned it on, "Format C:". Great. In my haste, I failed to remember that this laptop has no floppy and the CD is via card port so I have no way to get an OS back on the harddrive that I know of. I emailed Sony twice and all I get is a "canned" response. I do not have a system restore disk but I don't think it would read it anyway (would it?). I need help to get this thing running as I'm totally lost now.
Thanks for advising.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There are a couple of things you could try:

1) Using a Windows XP boot CD, this should still work, even in an external CD Drive (if it is set up correctly in the BIOS).

2) Get a cable/caddy that converts a 3.5" harddrive into a 5.25" one so you can use it on your main PC (about £10).

Just some rough ideas :) Have you tried a bootable CD yet?

Reaction score
I have made a bootable CD but no luck, "Invalid system disk. Replace the disk, and then press any key". You made mention that I should set my BIOS up correctly but I want to be sure I have done that correctly. I do have the CD as the first selection in the boot order. What other settings should I verify?
I had hoped that the cable/caddy DID exist. I have never needed one until now so I didn't know they existed! That should really help.
I have heard rumors that Sony has placed a special boot sector on the harddrive much like Compaq did years ago. Have you heard of anyone having problems installing a "non-Sony" version of the OS?
Thank you very much for responding. I was beginning to think I had a very expensive paperweight!

Reaction score
Thanks again for all your help. I will try the adaptor and let you know how it went.
Have a great day!:bow:

Reaction score
Well, I did buy a 2.5" drive adaptor and I was able to boot the laptop harddrive with my workstation. I reformatted it and reloaded it with W98se. Got all the updates, defragged it, cleaned it up real nice. The problem is there were never any W98 drivers for the SR27 - it came loaded with ME. Well the Sony website did have updated drivers for ME and W2K. I just happened to have W2K so I loaded it up, got all the updates, etc. It boots fine in the workstation but gives the response of "NTLDR missing". I have not updated the bios and I'm sure that is the problem. Again, no floppy, CD in-op since its PnP. I thought about getting the DOS drivers for the CD-ROM and try making a boot CD with the bios upgrade on it. I seem to be getting a bit out of control (and patience). Do you have any ideas or tricks?
Thanks.
Richard.:crazy:

Ask a Question