dead PC?

Kye

Reaction score
while doing my everyday thing on the PC, it restarted itself. i was a bit anxeious too why it does, but then again the PC has done many a strange thing in the past.

this time, it restarted, then again after showing the info during booting...then again, and again. each time getting closer too loading up windows. it restarted about 8 times during booting up.

as i was writing this, it restarted, thus so i pinned it down too the PSU. i mean, what else can it be? unless its somthing too do with the wiring, everything points too the PSU. it always flutuates, but never over the 5% either way.

a tagan 480W PSU is on sale on overclockers, but im not sure about it coming too me via amtrak. otherwise, ill have too hunt for a hiper PSU down PC World. im kinda happy since its making me buy somthing i didnt want too since the price. but, just want too know it might be somthing i can fix now and here instead of a new PSU.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Perhaps it the heat. your system may be running too hot. How much power is your PSU?

Kye

Reaction score
its definitely not heat. CPU at load is 46 degrees. the 6800 is 59 degrees when doing nowt. nothing is overclocked. the jeantech 120mm 450W specs i dont know. but its definitely underpreforming.

i dare not turn on the other PC intil i get a new PSU :D the tagan is powerful, silent, and BTA PCI-e compatable.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Kye said:
a tagan 480W PSU is on sale on overclockers, but im not sure about it coming too me via amtrak. otherwise, ill have too hunt for a hiper PSU down PC World. im kinda happy since its making me buy somthing i didnt want too since the price. but, just want too know it might be somthing i can fix now and here instead of a new PSU.
I would go for the tagan, its an excellent psu at an excellent price. I havent had a single problem with overclockers.

I ordered something from they yesterday and there using Royal Mail instead of Amtrack for me :/.

Kye

Reaction score
royal mail wont take anyone thats over 2kg's. i think...

the 12v rail on the tagan is suppose too be at v12.55 on load. which is the same as the one i have now. antec truepower supplies give off alot of heat and wasted energy. which again will result in a higher bill every month...but since im not paying the bills, maybe antec might serve me best?

if we all found out it was not the PSU, what else would you think it might be?

Kye

Reaction score
Enermax Noisetaker 420W is cheaper. antec or enermax?

please tell me quick. im getting withdraw symtoms( spelling? ) from my own PC. and the worse thing is, is that im being serious.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Antec & Enermax are both good, vote with your wallet. The Tagan, as reef said, is also an excellent PSU.

I'm surprised the Jeantech let you down, I have a 300W version that's chugging away nicely after three years.

But, horror of horrors, I had my first Antec PSU go bad on me over the weekend. 300W version, came with the case, 4 years old, has been on virtually 24/7 all that time.

I needed a replacement quick, so bought a 350W Jeantech from PC World, it was at a reduced price, only nineteen quid, otherwise I'd have gone for the 400W version at £40.00.

I just hope, Kye, that it is the PSU, but any of those three quality makes (Antec, Enermax & Tagan) will not be a waste of money.

Good luck.

Kye

Reaction score
i tend to want too get a PSU which says its K8 ready. the akasa 460W is the same price but higher wattage. also on paper it looks nice. going too read some reviews about it before i deside.
i dont have enough money. i never invested in that things might of gone wrong. i have enough for a PSU but nothing else. if its not the PSU then i will have too wait intil after christmas. i will probably be getting the tagan.

its a shame they dont sell the good components at retail.

Kye

Reaction score
im on my PC. im going too leave it alone and for a hour and see if it restarts. if not, ill run prime85 and see if it restarts.

otherwise, if i leave the PC on for a very long time without a 20 minute break every few hours, i think it might do what it did. still considering a new PSU though.

Reaction score
Kye said:
im on my PC. im going too leave it alone and for a hour and see if it restarts. if not, ill run prime85 and see if it restarts.

otherwise, if i leave the PC on for a very long time without a 20 minute break every few hours, i think it might do what it did. still considering a new PSU though.

if its not your psu at fault then check your jumper settings for power switch / ide led/ reset switch etc make sure they are all in the CORRECT place on the motherboard pins. ive had a similar problem be4 and it was cuz id put my power one on the reset one so of course it will turn off!

give it a shot!
good luck

Kye

Reaction score
the motherboard manual is naff...all the little 1 pin things i have no idea where they go. my uncle did that...i think it might be that the re-set thingy might be too sensative. maybe...still, its working ok at the moment.

Reaction score
i had the same problem like this before. what i did is i just reseated the memory and that fixed it. well im not sure if it will work on your pc coz mines an old pIII800.:blush:
well there nothing to lose if you try, ayt! hope it works for your pc as it did with mine.:)

Reaction score
Kye said:
the motherboard manual is naff...all the little 1 pin things i have no idea where they go. my uncle did that...i think it might be that the re-set thingy might be too sensative. maybe...still, its working ok at the moment.

no problems do this: get a pencil and paper and draw out the pin arrangment and take a not of exactly where each pin is rite now. make sure u can put them back toghther to whereever they go alrite!

now remove the reset sw pin from the motherboard it mite be called ' reset' or 'reswtch'
something like that should be written on both the black part of the pin and motherboard.

try booting up now this will tell u if ur pin arragement is wrong:) if it still dont work try taking each pin out seperately and booting up play around with it! and if it still dont work properly then we got to point in the direction of your psu, be4 u spalsh out get another psu and try it in the machine!

post us back ur findings:_)

good luck

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Kye said:
In my opinion, I think it's unlikely to be the flying leads from the case switches causing you problems, as you haven't had any problems until recently.

The reset and power switches are purely on/off devices, they work from a momentary short circuit. Therefore, there is not a sensitivity issue here.

It's always worth checking if your memory's seated OK, but again, if all's been OK for a while, unlikely to be that.

Kye

Reaction score
the case im using is semi falling apart, and inside is a right mess.

i know where the CMOS jumper is, and how too reset that, but all the little pins, the led's, switches and that is what i dont get.

the whole restarting every minute happened after a 2 hour of playing painkiller, which near the end a line was appear for a second across the screen. its not a heat problem, this PC is very cool and i have checked everything on load and stock. the 12v rail, when not doing nowt will somtimes go too v11.58, which is scary.

but, if it was the PSU, why would it bugger up after so long on painkiller, but it will be ok whilst spending 10 hours on Rome: Total War? and since it was restarting during posting, its not a driver thing.

i have too open the PC on the carpet, i know its safe enough but im still scared of static.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Do you have a manual for the motherboard? Or if not, do you have the driver CD for the motherboard, there's often a manual on there. The pin connections for the case leads will be in there, they should be quite straightforward to follow.

Rome: Total War doesn't put so much strain on your PC as Painkiller. I have to say, it does sound very much like a heat issue to me.

You insist your PC is cool enough - how are you checking this? Let me know what monitoring software you're using and what the CPU and Case temps are after playing Painkiller for ten minutes or so.

And 11.58 volts is nothing to worry about, that's a quite acceptable fluctuation.

Kye

Reaction score
i shut down the PC for 20 minutes, my cousin took out the internet cable from the back USB while the PC was turned off and PSU switch turned off as well.

went too turn it on, powered up for a second then nothing...so, i proceed too press the on button again...then nothing...and again, nothing. i slightly panic, and turn on and off the PSU and pressing the button, nothing!

my cousin said " open it up then, PC techy " sarcastically. so i did, and desided too check things i would not of before.

i took of the front panal and noticed the wires going into the ickle box for the on and off button and restart button. i followed it into the Pc case, and checked everything else was in there. i twiddled the wires a bit and pushed them in more into the button case. clothed her again and turned it on and it work!

i think its lose wiring. it only happens if the PC gets knocked slightly, or if i tap it, it somtimes restarts. im buying a beer for the PSU tonight too say sorry for pointing the finger at him. thank you for all your help! i would not of check the thing i would never considered if it was not for you people.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
So you sorted then? Good :) Looks like it was loose wires on the switches then eh?

Well done :thumb:

Ask a Question