Windows XP Cross Network...

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a wireless network set up in my house, i would like to be able to make a pop-up box with a message appear on other PC's across my house,

I would also like to access files on any of the other PC's & Access the CD Drive in the other PC's

i DON'T want to download/install any software (Or Run the 'windows set up wizard for various reasons)

All coputers are Windows (Not Mac's)

Is this possible?

KGB

Reaction score
yes

there's an easy way and a harder way. will post later if i get chance, snowed under here!!!

just thought i'd give you some hope!

Reaction score
What? Is it snowing in manchester?

Please do post it here... or give me a web link of where either are.

KGB

PS. Techy, you sound like the person who would place a glass of water just out of reach of a man dying of thirst!

(PPS. Im just Kidding)

Last edited:
Reaction score
KGB.. do you mean like the Application... Winpopup..?... instant messaging on a local area network?

is this what your after?

Reaction score
All i am after is a Trans-Network pop up chat, and i want the ability to read / write to other PC's and evan to be able to use the CD drive of other PC's

but, i DO NOT want to download / install ANYTHING!

Reaction score
sorry mate just had loads of work on and some machine that wouldn't play ball. won in the end though!

what version of windows are these machines running?

:)

Reaction score
All Of the machines (All 4) are running Windows XP Home eddition,

Do you know how to do it on XP Home?

Thanks,
KGB

PS, is it snowing?

Reaction score
Kgb winpopup.. is an application that allows intant messeging on a local area network... ie computers linked together in your home..... i was wondering if this was the sort of thing that you were after..

it would pop up a window if i sent you a message over a LAN.... but you say you have XP.. Humm i know it comes with win 95.. and win98..... im unfamilier with XP though....

Reaction score
Yeah thats partly what i want (Aswell as being able to view/edit iles & CD contents)

Does anyone know how i can use it with XP?

Reaction score
on older versions of windows you had a tool called winpopup, it would have done what you wanted to do, basically it can send messages across a network.

using XP home you will need to download something like real pop up to be able to send messages across your network.

with regards to sharing files and drives you need to create a workgroup and run the network setup wizard on each machine.

pretty straight forward ;)

J

Reaction score
Kgb.. im using win98.. its part of the os... however its an additional feature... ie i had to ask the installer to install it....... try your XP disk... can you Add to your XP programs?..... its worth a try.. i dont know if it.. or simaler will be on there

Reaction score
there's nothing on the the XP cd that will help you here although there are some additional tools, well spotted spooky.

:)

Reaction score
Kgb.. okay then the only other thing i can sugessest is to try the program that Techy mentioned.... real pop up.... best of luck anyway..:)

Ask a Question