CPU Value

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm about to take the plunge and get a new CPU, I'm running a Duron 700 at the moment :)

I've been looking at a few different CPUs, and I just can't make my mind up. The Athlon XP 1800+, it seems like great value and very very fast... there is also the Intel 1.6A, more expensive but could overclock to about 2.4Ghz (possibly faster than the Athlon 1800 in some apps).

Any suggestions or first hand experience?

Reaction score
If you get the 1.6A you could manage a 2.4Ghz overclock on air most likely with stock HSF. It will beat the AthlonXP in some benchmarks and vice versa. If you can wait a while then i'd wait for the thoroughbred to become most readily available. I'm buying a new cpu in a few days, but i'm sticking with a 1ghz duron and hoping to overclock to 1333mhz.

-Pete

Reaction score
I'd get an Athlon XP 2200+ right now. It's not that expensive when you compare it to a P4 at 2.2ghz. Besides, your 1800+ will be outdated even faster. :)

As for me, I'm waiting for Clawhammer for my next major overhaul, but my 1ghz Athlon T-Bird is starting to feel outdated.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm

A tricky one for me. I generally go for a motherboard that has the potential to "grow" a little with what’s coming out next.

I'll be looking to go down the 333 route and a 2.2 will do nicely WHEN the price drops. :D

However, the 1800+ is a very nice fast CPU at a great price.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That is indeed a tricky one. There was a time when I'd have said blindly 'Don't buy Intel' but I dunno, their new range is looking good, especially for overclocking.

I bought an XP1800 a few weeks ago, I got fed up waiting for the Thorobred to arrive. It should have been here by now but I've noticed several reports saying AMD are having problems with it relating to the new die size. I'll try and find a couple of links for you.

I'm assuming your current motherboard won't take an XP CPU or DDR RAM.

Therefore whatever CPU you decide upon you're going to have to buy a new board and RAM as well.

If it were me I'd go for the AMD XP1800. Why? It'll stand you in good stead for 9 months to a year (or longer); it will cost less than an Intel setup; the market is certain to shift within the next twelve month period and looks liable to achieve some stability in that time, unlike right now; An XP1800 combo will probably fetch a good resale price; The XP1800 performs very well indeed :)

I have an Abit KR7A RAID/XP1800/512 Crucial and have the FSB at 139 to give me 1605Mhz. A modest little overclock. And I'm really happy with it.

Only other thing to consider if going the AMD route is having to buy a decent chip cooler, such as the Alpha PAL 8045 (£38.00 without a fan) although the XP CPU runs cooler than the Thunderbird CPU.

Good luck with whatever choice you make :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I may be able to get hold of some water cooling equiptment which I was hoping would push the CPU further too - my motherboard can handle upto a 2100+ but only SDR :(

I'll wait a little while and see whats happens in the next few months :D

Reaction score
If you've got some water cooling, then wait a little while for the issues with the t'bred to be sorted out, then try and overclock it till it burns up!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah good idea :)

I cant afford one now anyway so that waiting is fine, lol :)

Reaction score
Yeah, they've been having some issues with the T-Bred, and overclocking is worse than a Palomino 2100+. Clawhammer, where are you? ;)

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eric Portelance
Yeah, they've been having some issues with the T-Bred, and overclocking is worse than a Palomino 2100+. Clawhammer, where are you? ;)

Have you heard about the second stepping T-Bred?It seems to be doing a bit better.Ian ,just get the best bang for the buck XP,they are getting really cheap now and with the T-breds in the mix and all.If you get to hand pick a cpu get the AGOGA or AGKGA stepping as these have been the best overclocking XP's so far.I have had my 1700+ at 1729 but all my hardware couldnt handle the FSB speed(11X157fsb) It ran forever till you tried to open a 3d game,then it crapped itself ;)

wildone

Reaction score
Yes, I did hear there was a second stepping of T-Breds. I'd be very interested in seeing a comparative benchmark. I think they mainly fixed the overclocking problems and some performance issues related to the 0.13 micron process. My local computer store now has the 2200+, and it took them a very long time. I'm betting that AMD didn't even release the original stepping 2200+ and these are now 2nd stepping releases we are seeing.

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eric Portelance
Yes, I did hear there was a second stepping of T-Breds. I'd be very interested in seeing a comparative benchmark. I think they mainly fixed the overclocking problems and some performance issues related to the 0.13 micron process. My local computer store now has the 2200+, and it took them a very long time. I'm betting that AMD didn't even release the original stepping 2200+ and these are now 2nd stepping releases we are seeing.

Yes I hope you are right ,I also hope it just keeps getting better and that the second stepping overclocking ability is just the beggining.From what I have read the new ones @ 2.0 ghz is comparible to a 2.8 GHZ intel chip.

wildone

Reaction score
AMD doesn't have a 2GHz Athlon out. Do you mean once its overclocked, or the 2000+?

I'm waiting for Barton before my next upgrade. 512k L2 cache can't be a bad thing, and it will have some Clawhammer technology built into it.

wildone

King of Modding
Reaction score
Yes I mean once its overclocked ,I too am waiting for the barton ;)

wildone

Ask a Question