Windows XP cpu usage 100%

Reaction score
mates pc completely slow, can't do anything, takes 4 mins after you click start button to open the window, took me 20 mins to get task mngr up, on processes iexplorer fluctuating from 80 to 99%, he doesn't have any ad aware or anything like that so do you reckon its a spyware/malware problem?can i run a syware removal tool off a disc cos cannot get online to download, cos haven't got a week to spare.anyone got any other ideas. win xp sp2 home ed

Reaction score
yes, it is a form of virus / nasty... it is called "Microsoft Windows"

No, Windows is not a virus. Here's what viruses do:

* They replicate quickly - okay, Windows does that.

* Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as they do so - okay, Windows does that.

* Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk - okay, Windows does that too.

* Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable programs and systems. Sigh... Windows does that, too.

* Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. Yup, that's with Windows, too.

Until now it seems Windows is a virus but there are fundamental differences:Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.

So Windows is not a virus.

It's a bug.

Sorry i cant be any help

my suggestion would be to reformat

KGB

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Reaction score
hey mate my girlfriend has the same problem it takes like 20 minutes for the pc to start up she has everything i have on my pc but more memory and a bigger hard drive??? she has no games or asnything deleted everything from the pc any solutions as mine is megga fast and if anything i have more than her on my pc???

many thanks

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Its all to do with virus's and spyware im afraid, you just need to run the removers i posted earlier!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Also use MS's Anti-Spyware program

Do as Reefa' said ...
;)

Reaction score
Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'd try AdawareSE V1.05 (not V6.0) and also Antivir.

Antivir gets rid of more than viruses, it can whack Trojans as well. It's better than Grisoft AVG, imo.

Only problem is, their server's been busy of late, upgrades just about every day for last two weeks or so, so you may have to be patient for a download.

'Reformat & reinstall' means wiping your hard drive completely. losing everything you have on it, and starting over.

Boot from your Windows CD, you'll be given the oppurtunity to format during the install process. Go for the 'Format NTFS' option, not the 'Quick Format NTFS' it only takes a little longer.

And then the first thing you do is install Antivir, Spyware Blaster and AdAwareSE V1.05. That should, hopefully, prevent a reoccurence of the problem.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I would just go for the format and reinstallation path, as it is the only way to ensure your windows is clean. Just make sure you backup your favourite documents first, and make sure the first thing you install to windows is a firewall and reputable anti virus.
I actually re-install windows about every 6 months or so, just to keep it running quick and ensure it's virus free. Maybe not the best solution for everyone, but suits my needs.

Reaction score
i downloaded the one from microsoft on my processes its still very very high still a long list of things and 100% CPU usage im not to sure about reinstalling xp and that im not good at that sort of stuff :( hopefully my boyfriend will now and when you say backup my favorite documents you mean copy them all to a disk?

thanks ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes, backup all the important stuff to a CD.

Things to think about:

Music, mp3's etc
Probably most of 'My Documents'
IE6 'Favourites' (web site links)
e-mails

And then before reinstalling all that stuff, let Antivir (or your chosen AV program) scan the backup CD(s) for viruses.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Yes, just copy them to a CD or DVD, or if your computer is on a network just copy to someone elses drive. But make sure you virus scan the files before you copy them back

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I agree with Cache-man on reinstalling windows once every 6 months. Its is a painful process but the best to solve most of the problems associated with the OS :(

Reaction score
Hey here is my CPU usage now but the list of processes is still double even triple than what it should be

CPUusage.bmp

Last edited:

Ask a Question