Cpu Fan Not Working Properly

Reaction score
well everyone i done it!

i got a Thermaltake Silent Boost AMD fan

let me tell you that it was MISSIONS and so difficult to install this on top of my CPU. i have a chiftech tower and i had to take the motherboard out to install the fan

im not too keen on opening the pc up anymore, get scared incase something goes wrong
it took my 30mins of sweat to put the fan on

when i did i put the new CPU fan in, put power on and the screen stays blank for a bit of time, and then i hear these CONTINOUS BLEEPS and there is a message on the centre of the screen that says CPU FAN NOT WORKING PROPERLY.

i was so pi**** off when i read this because it was so hard installing the fan. im sure i connected it to the same 3pin mate as i did with my old cpu fan

any ideas where i have gone wrong?any suggestions? if we can discuss this i will open my pc up 1 last time!

a very upset and worried
psd99

pikakilla

Proud Cruncher!
Reaction score
hi psd99

is the fan spinning when you boot up?
it could be your bios is reading that the fan isnt working even though it is
and so it wont continue to boot up

Last edited:
Reaction score
pikakilla said:
hi psd99

is the fan spinning when you boot up?
it could be your bios is reading that the fan isnt working even though it is
and so it wont continue to boot up

yes the fan is spinning as per normal. im pretty sure its spinning to the best of its ability.

Reaction score
You could maybe try connecting the old CPU fan to the fan jumper it was plugged into before, and plugging your new fan into another socket.

Hope this does it

:) Kenny

Reaction score
Kenny said:
You could maybe try connecting the old CPU fan to the fan jumper it was plugged into before, and plugging your new fan into another socket.

Hope this does it

:) Kenny

got two fan connections on the mobo tried them both but to no avail!

im just wondering if its something to do with the cpu thermal paste!

well i want ppls suggestions be4 i take the mobo out again and give it another try...................

Reaction score
damn.

thermal paste i dont think would stop the copmp posting. As far as I know, thermal Paste isnt mandatory, it`s only recommended to help keep the CPU at intelligent temperatures.

pikakilla

Proud Cruncher!
Reaction score
check in your bios
i had an asus board last year that booted up and told me that the fan wasnt
working, but it was spinning fine.
have a look at the manual about fan warnings, it may just be a simple disable
choice in the bios. could be something rpms on the fan i.e not fast enough or too fast?
it is abit odd though if you only changed the fan, maybe put your old one back on and try
that and it if works then its the fan itself.

Reaction score
pikakilla said:
check in your bios

Very good point!

I have an Asus board and the bios has allsorts of fan functions..

Psd another suggestion/question... are all three pin connectors the same on all makes of fan?.. ie one companys pin 1 isnt a live while the other is?... I dunno just a thought

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Have you tried your old fan again after trying the new one?

If not, please try and tell me the results. If the old fan works, you've obviously got a faulty fan, if it doesnt work then you might have damaged the motherboard while playing around :(.

Reaction score
You would be very very stooopid not to use thermal paste...

...BUT...

...Thermal paste could not possibly have anything to do with this situation because it's to do with the CPU fan...

...Did you plug the cpu fan into the CPUFAN1 header as opposed to a similar SYSFAN1 or AUXFAN1 header?...or is it a 4 pin molex connection? If its the normal 3 pin with the small end, is there a yellow cable in addition to the red and black power ones? the yellow one is the speed monitor one.

Enter your BIOS and check all the readings.

...ALSO...

I have seen problems in the past where the BIOS would beep if the CPU fan was not running above a certain speed - a problem with silent coolers. You would get an error message even though everything was running fine, BIOS just did not like the low speed of the fan. Tell the motherboard to monitor its N/b fan or Case fan instead and that might sort out your problem...so long as your CPU fan is spinning ok and is plugged into the right hole.

Reaction score
From the way PSD described the problem, the computers not even getting to the BIOS screen, how can any settings be changed?

Reaction score
Kenny said:
From the way PSD described the problem, the computers not even getting to the BIOS screen, how can any settings be changed?

thanks for the reply everyone

and thanks kenny yes you are right I can not even get into BIOS. so i cant change any settings. but im thinking prehaps i could change the settings whilst my old fan is in! Which settings do i need to look at?

the old fan is working fine, no problems there so far
the fan connector is exactly the same as the old fan, and im connecting it to the same fan socket on the motherboard.

it may well be a faulty fan, hope it is now.

thanks for your repiles once again

Reaction score
okay everyone looking at my mobo log book

there is an option to DISABLE THE 'Detect CPU fan in post'
it is currently enabled, should i disable it?

worried about this, dont understand the implications just yet.
on first sitei cant seem to see anything else that i could change.

thanks

Reaction score
BINGO!!!!

well i just DISABLED THE 'Detect CPU Fan in post' option in BIOS whilst my old fan was in

and now the new fan has worked, its a Zalman and is so SILENT!!!! cant tell if my pc is on or off now!

thanks u lot for the advice, without you id be lost

Reaction score
Nice one Psd...

Is that a Fan i can Hear??.... (Listens very hard).....
Nope..
Well in that case it must be psd's silent new Zalman fan in operation.. :D

Glad its working now.. :)

Can you notice a really good differance.. ill bear Zalman in mind when i go self build.. silent PCs for the home are the way... :)

Reaction score
Spooky Mouse said:
Nice one Psd...

Is that a Fan i can Hear??.... (Listens very hard).....
Nope..
Well in that case it must be psd's silent new Zalman fan in operation.. :D

Glad its working now.. :)

Can you notice a really good differance.. ill bear Zalman in mind when i go self build.. silent PCs for the home are the way... :)

Thanks everyone once again
LOL yes Spooky Mouse dont forget Zalman for sure!!!!!!!!!

Is it a bird.........is it a plane..........no its a SPOOKY Mouse....squeak.......squeak...squeak!

:):):):

Reaction score
I Need Help My Cpu Fan Stopped Working Out Of Nowhere And Windows Booted Up....when I Shutdown The Cpu And Tried Another Fan Nothing Happens??? What Should I Dop>???? I Need Help Fast!

I Appreciate Any Kind Of Advice :)

Reaction score
I just put all of my components in a new case and now there is an error message saying cpu fan error. The case has a fan controler and it is letting the fan spin but not seeing that it is spinning and when i plug it back into the MB It doesn't spin at all...

Ask a Question