Computer running at snail speed!

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear all

The PC is running like a snail. Don't know why! No viruses, spyware etc.... What could it be?

Any thoughts as to what the problem is and what to do?

We have loads of free space too!!

Keep it simple for me please peeps!

Gabriella x

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear KGB

The funny thing is that I have no more programmes 2day than I had yesterday and it was fine then.

If too many programmes are the problem, what do you suggest that I should I 'bin'?

Thanks for your reply.

KInd regards

Gabriella x

Reaction score
Maybe it is not the problem. Have you done anything new today like run windows update?

Or has it been on for a very long time?

KGB

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
No, the strange thing is that nothing new has happened, no new programmes or anything like that. I immediately suspected some spyware/virus etc.... and ran my bits and bobs - they took an eternity to run and came up with nothing at all!

Bit foxed to be honest!

Gabriella x

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Try Crap Cleaner (yes i know it sounds funny). It gets rid of all those unessary registry files and other files which are just clogging up your machine. Its free, and i've had it for over a year and its done no damage to me, or any of me friends. it just keeps your computer in tip top shape.

Then you might want to run disk defrag to help sort you drive out (start > programs > accesories > system tools > disk defrag).

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
How many time should i clean my crap with this? :p
in all seriousness though :D

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I use it once a week as im running very low on disk space and im too darn stubborn to uninstall one of my games, i kknow i wont play some every again, but its the principle of the matter!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
I use it once a week as im running very low on disk space and im too darn stubborn to uninstall one of my games, i kknow i wont play some every again, but its the principle of the matter!
HAH! Same problem that i have:D i have less than 20% free space, i think its time to get a new Harddrive...not yet though, you need money for that:p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'd say the most likely candidate is Spyware/Trojan/virus, despite all the checks having been made.

Or it could actually be a hardware problem, but I doubt it.

What programs are being run to combat nasties? (AdAware etc) And are they all up to date?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Your PC is one system I would dearly love to get my hands on ...

floppybootstomp said:
I'd say the most likely candidate is Spyware/Trojan/virus, despite all the checks having been made.
floppybootstomp said:

Or it could actually be a hardware problem, but I doubt it.

What programs are being run to combat nasties? (AdAware etc) And are they all up to date?
I agree ... today’s 'slow PCs' can usually be attributed to some 'nasties' infecting your system. We have been here before gabriella ... you can have every protection under the sun, but one laps in vigilance and your caught. It also will not help your cause if a little 'nasty' has been given permission to do its evil.

However, there could be a hardware problem ... an un-noticed drop in memory, CPU cache failure, hard drive problem with 'bad sectors' or HD failing.

Now you're not going to like this but ... I really don't think your PC has been performing 100% for a long time ... I personally would be performing a new, clean install of the whole system. It may be an only option for you. :(

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Now you're not going to like this but ... I really don't think your PC has been performing 100% for a long time ... I personally would be performing a new, clean install of the whole system. It may be an only option for you. :(

You have been having problems with your machine for a while now haven't you Gabriella, i have been keeping abreast of your posts and it seems to me you probably have some sort of a nasty installed, even if you didn't know about it and took all precautions your nearest and dearest probably haven't.

Your best bet is as Mucks has already pointed out, and i would have done long ago and that is to format and reinstall windows nice and fresh..

If you do that and then see the machine reacting quicker afterwards you will be doubly armed for next time... ;)

Reaction score
gabriella said:
Dear all

The PC is running like a snail. Don't know why! No viruses, spyware etc.... What could it be?

Dear Gabriella,

lets hope your pc will soon be running like a cheetah!!!:)

........or even a rabbit lol

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
There's a development - today NAV disabled itself and asked to be installed an reinstalled. It won't let me reinstall and says that there is an error. Heaven knows what that is!!

Is the majority opinion to reformat and start again?

If so, I think I am gonna need some help with this. What do I do about all the stuff on the PC at the mo?

Thanks for all your help

Gabriella x

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That doesn't sound good if NAV disabled itself - could be a virus or nasty spyware. Try the online antivirus (from the features menu at the top), that should pick it up if there is something causing problems.

If that doesn't work then I'd agree with Mucks and suggest a re-format. You'll have to backup many items you want to keep (e-mails, documents etc...). Do you have much on your PC that you need?

Reaction score
NAV always messes around... mine corrupted itself in much the same way. there must be a way of removing it, and then putting it back on again - i cant remember how i did it.

Reaction score
gabriella said:
There's a development - today NAV disabled itself and asked to be installed an reinstalled. It won't let me reinstall and says that there is an error. Heaven knows what that is!!

if u already didnt know i think NAV is norton antivirus. but id ask some1 who will know for sure.......

gabriella said:
Is the majority opinion to reformat and start again?

personally Gabriella i would do this as a LAST resort
as there are so many things to consider here:

your files, your program files, your settings, your shortcuts, your bookmarks everything that u have on your hardrrive.
this job is a long one and can take a long time to get ur pc to look and feel like how u want it

so i would reccomend reformatting as a LAST resort

Ask a Question