computer not starting

Reaction score
I use Windows XP. Yesterday all of a sudden my computer started getting a blue screen that says something about a hardware or software problem. The blue screen is on for a few seconds and then my computer just reboots. This happened about 3 times randomly yesterday.

Now today I was on my computer checking my mail and I hear a buzzing squeeky noise coming form the computer. Right then my computer shuts itself off automatically with no blue screen coming up. Now I can't turn my computer on. I push the power button and nothing happens.

Could this be a power supply failure? I unhooked all my IDE devices and unplugged my power supply to let it cool down. When I plugged my power supply back in, it made a buzzing sound and my computer still doesn't turn on.

Please help.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
From the sound of it, it's definitely not a software problem, it does seem as if a piece of hardware has broken down.

From what you've said, I'd agree, it does sound like the Power Supply, but I'd also suspect the Motherboard.

Only way to prove, unfortunately, is by substitution, as far as I know.

So, if it's not too painful on the wallet, I'd try a different, preferably new, PSU.

Reaction score
Evenin',

i totally agree with floppy poss psu or mobo, one thing i would try before spending any of that hard earned cash is reseating the memory and if you have two memory sticks, try booting with one or the other installed then swop them round in no joy.

J

Ask a Question