CD burning problems...need advice

Reaction score
I have a Liteon 40x12x48 CD/RW and just can't get it to burn CDs - writeables or re-writeables. I have tried both Roxio Easy CD Creator Platinum and XP Pro's own in-built CD writing function (which just happens to be a roxio product as well). I thought there might be some conflict between the teo, so i've tried using the windows burner even without easy Cd creator on the system...still no luck.

I get an error message something like the following shortly after starting the burning process:

''device reported an unknown error (0x79)''
or...''Can't complete the writing process''

Each time it occurs i have to bin another blank...and it's gettin expensive!

I have the latest firmware for the drive. It worked fine under Win2K, and the probs seem to be XP-related.

Any ideas? You reckon the drive's just had it for burning?

:confused:

Reaction score
Probs with Nero were the reason i tried Easy Cd. Because the problem i'm having occurs with both XP's in-built burner and Easy CD Creator...I figured it must be hardware.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nero, for sure. imo it's the best program for everyday burning.

How do you have your optical devices & HDD's connected? On which IDE cables?

Generally speaking, it's best not to have 2 optical devives sharing the same IDE cable, can cause probs.

Are the jumper settings correct on the back of CDRW & DVD drives?

You could try uninstalling Easy CD Creator, disabling XP's built in software and trying Nero again.

Oh, and when trying a first burn, use a CDRW just to confirm it's going to work, that stops them coasters piling up :)

Reaction score
Originally posted by floppybootstomp
Nero, for sure. imo it's the best program for everyday burning.

How do you have your optical devices & HDD's connected? On which IDE cables?

Generally speaking, it's best not to have 2 optical devives sharing the same IDE cable, can cause probs.

Are the jumper settings correct on the back of CDRW & DVD drives?

You could try uninstalling Easy CD Creator, disabling XP's built in software and trying Nero again.

Oh, and when trying a first burn, use a CDRW just to confirm it's going to work, that stops them coasters piling up :)

Well guys...after Muck's concise but definitive suggestion, I got hold of a copy of the latest version of Nero today. As soon as i get time, I'm gonna give it a go.

Floppy, I do have my optical drives sharing a single IDE cable, and their jumper settings are correct for that config, but since i now have a free IDE channel (as i'm only using SATA HDDs) I can try them on seperate channels. Am I right that I can set them both as master? (i.e. primary and secondary) ??

I'll also try your suggestion to disable XP's inbuilt burner. I think I'll try Easy CD first and then Nero (let's just say i have to 'tweak' nero to work:brow: )

I'll let you know how i get on.

Thanks again, both of you!!:)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
All this ... must go on that cannel don't have it with this make sure that is ... oh ... bunkum.

Put 'em on whatever you like as long as the jumpers are set-up correctly ... and ... don't copy on-the-fly.

I have CDRW master & CDRom slave on the secondary IDE channel, never had a problem.

:roll:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
if you have two IDE channels free, give each optical drive it's own slot & cable, in which case yes, set both to master

good luck

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
mucks, I have also run two optical drives on the same channel, had no choice because of physical considerations in the setup

but, where there is a problem, would you not agree that it is best to remove every possible cause?

besides, it just feels right to share your data flow amongst as many independent channels as possible

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
All data is handeled by the CPU ;)

If you can then why not. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Originally posted by muckshifter
All data is handeled by the CPU ;)

If you can then why not. :D

uh-huh

but to get to the CPU, it has to travel

along cables

this one could run and run folks....

;)

Reaction score
Ok..OK...I see a little digression from my original question here guys!! (Always nice to see a little real debate in the forum;) )

Anyway, first...I have managed to get Easy CD working, so i didn't need Nero...but I'm keeping that in reserve. If you both rate it that highly, i should give it another chance.

Second...IDE cables:

1. I only have 2 IDE connectors on the mobo. One would normally be used for a HDD and the other for a connector to my two optical drives. (I think you'd both agree that a HDD is better on a seperate channel as the speed is determined by the slowest drive)

2. Because i'm using two SATA HDDs and no IDE HDD, I have one IDE connector free. This means I could put each of my two opticals on seperate channels and set them both to 'master'. This would be best for speed as one is ATA33 and the other ATA66...so i reckon they both work at 33 ...is that right?

3. If I'm right, then the benefit is clearly that the ATA66 (DVD ROM) will operate at it's optimal speed.

4. Disadvantage is that I will have to put another IDE cable in the system...and i hate the idea of clutter! I might be willing to do this if i can find supplier of single headed IDE cables. Know of any?

:confused: :) ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I was trying to say, one opitcal device per single IDE channel, both drives set to master.

Only place I'm aware of selling single ended IDE cables are here

Kustom PC's

In silver or black.

Only problem is, they're only 25cm long. I'm using two of these on my RAID setup in the Lian Li case, and I've had no problems with them.

Kustom PC's charge £2.00 shipping per order. I've bought quite a lot of stuff from them and they're good. In fact I'd say they're the best on line dealer I've ever dealt with.

But it's worth taking a look around the usual suspects as I haven't searched in any great detail.

Reaction score
Yes, 25cm is a bit too short for the way I've positioned my drives, but thanks for the tip:D

ptz

Reaction score
roxio

hi I am new here, but was thinking that xp's built in cd copying software is basically roxio, why install and run it twice?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
ptz:

basically, the stand alone version of Roxio's software offers more options & flexibility.

But, in my opinion, it pales in comparison to Nero.

ptz

Reaction score
cdrw progs

Your right about roxio and xp copying definately not as flexable as nero, but if you want to copy a cd (it wont do individual files) get clonecd, it's into version 4 now and comes with virtual drive, think image of cd on your hard drive and you can access it as you would a cd, I know nero has this as well but clonecd is just simpler to use and is very good, going to try alcohol120% soon so if its any good I will post it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
ptz:

If you do try Alcohol software, be sure to let us know what you think of it.

I have Clone CD, yes, it's very good.

Here's another I've heard good things about: Blindwrite

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I have always copied on the fly as all my drives are masters on four channels, two on mobo and two on Promise card. Never had any problems with Nero. Besides, the the packet writing software with Nero (InCD) is excellent.

If you can have all the drives setup on master you should not have problems with copying on the fly. Its the single channel use for both drives that causes problems.

Reaction score
Re: roxio

Originally posted by ptz
hi I am new here, but was thinking that xp's built in cd copying software is basically roxio, why install and run it twice?

...absolutely correct, ptz...as i mentioned in my original post. However, the 'proper' easy CD Creator has an interface i'm familiar with and it does have more features and i've never had any problems with it.

However, here's an update:
I just got latest version of Nero Ultra and it seems pretty good.

Maybe I'll change my mind about it!8) :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm going to have to update my version of Nero to this latest one, mine current version seems rather limited :bow:

Ask a Question