Carbon TV - Yet another new technology around the corner!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
You can find carbon in coal and tennis rackets, and a few years from now, it could run your TV.

Various companies are currently trying to perfect the technology behind a new type of flat-panel display that will rely on diamonds or carbon nanotubes--two forms of pure carbon--to produce images.

Theoretically, these "field effect displays," or FEDs, will consume less energy than plasma or liquid crystal display (LCD) TVs, deliver a better picture and even cost less. The development of FEDs underscores the rapid changes taking place in what had been a relatively staid TV market.

Once dominated by a few Japanese manufacturers, the television market now includes a wide variety of companies, including Dell, Hewlett-Packard and Westinghouse. If successful, FEDs could even render the new TVs being shown off this week at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas as has-beens.
The concept of a nanotube TV will give you image quality similar to CRTs (cathode ray tubes), and the best image quality is still found on CRT TVs," said Tom Pitstick, vice president of marketing at Houston's Carbon Nanotechnologies. "All the major display manufacturers are looking at nanotube TVs."
Read full story on Carbon Tv's

:confused::rolleyes::eek::cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I thought Carbon Nanotubes were insanely expensive to make, it just shows how things have moved on! TVs are getting so cheap nowadays, as are Monitors.

What really surprised me is it says they could be on the shelves in 2006!

I'd love a 42" Plasma TV until these models are released :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
About a year back when I bought the Philips 29" Pixel Plus TV, Philips guys tried their level best to convince me to buy the 42" Plasma (5 times more expensive) but I did not get carried away (even though I buy on impulse mostly). Today the same 42" Plasma is being sold at half the price! :eek: The Pixel Plus is cheaper by about 25-30 % only in comparision. We also know from the article above that Plasma is not better than CRT (Pixel Plus being CRT). I think I made the wise decision.

Now I look forward to the Diamond TV, sorry, Carbon TV :D