Can't see others on wireless

Reaction score
Am networking three pc's with one wireless adsl router/modem intellinet-have just connected to my isp on this one connected by the usb port(don't know if this was necessary). Cannot see other pc's on network and cannot see this network connection in my internet options. Obviously cannot connect other pc's thru this adsl. Please help.Thanks

Reaction score
3 XP pc's - 'Server connected to wireless adsl modem with usb cable(don't know if this was necessary) there is an ethernet port as well(I havent used) and the Server pc has a pci wireless card as well. Have connected to intellinet to configure wan as per instructions. Have managed to get 'server' to connect to internet with tiscali settings...am using this now. Other two have pci wireless cards and say that they are connected to my available wireless-altho they keep dropping connection(show another nearby wireless network)BUT DON'T APPEAR ON MY NETWORK...JUST WANT THEM ALL TO CONNECT USING ONE BROADBAND ACCOUNT...ALSO TO SHARE PRINTER. File sharing not necessary. Hope this is enough info now.
Thanks

Reaction score
first of all have you checked that all the wireless devices are compatable? if you tell me what standard they are i will tell you, eg 802.11b

Reaction score
if you'be got the ADSL modem connected to the "server pc" then you will need to share the internet connection, has your router not got an DSL port? if not and you are planning to share the net connection, then you will need to enable ICS (internet connection sharing) on "the server" pc, to do this right click the connection you want to share in network connections select properties and then advanced place a tick in enable ICS, the second thing you need to do is to set the ip address's, "the server" or the machine sharing the connection must have it's IP address set to 192.168.0.1, but from what you've told me, with the adsl modem connected to "the server" the router is unecessary, as you could just create a p2p (peer to peer) network, ideally you want the adsl modem connected to the router to create and infrastructure.

J

Reaction score
it has a dsl port from which I have the modem cable connected to the adsl filter-should i proceed to check the ics settings still?

Reaction score
no need if your going through the router, all you need to do is to point all three machines to the router

Reaction score
Oh yes...abother weird thing is that when I tried to set up a network with the wizard it just kept going like a slide show without letting me chose the options...don't know if it has a bearing on anything?

Reaction score
never heard of that happening, before you run the network setup you need to make sure you've got a connection with the other machines

Reaction score
how do i point them all to the router, does each one need the software installed for the router...or only my 'server'....I still can't see them on on my workgroup...had seen them all a couple of days ago before I connected to the internet(adsl connection)....getting myself upset over this...obviously missing something. Really appreciate your help and am afraid to let you go before it works...sorry

Reaction score
go to tcp/ip properties on all three manchines, set the router's ip address to 192.168.0.1 set the first machine's ip to 192.168.0.2 then second to 192.168.0.3 then third to 192.168.0.4 it isn't essential to have these ip's as you aren't sharing the connection, but it keeps it simple, to set the ip's right click the network connection in network connections select properties left click tcp/ip select properties set the ip's as above set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the dns server to 192.168.0.1 (the router, internet gateway)

you only need the router s/w installed on one machine.

Reaction score
and when you've done that just run the network setup wizard on all machines. :)

Reaction score
Hi
I did what you suggested and couldn't get my internet again so reverted to previous settings and got adsl back. Thanks for your help...will try again tomorrow

Reaction score
Hi
Am trying again
Router
LAN 192.168.0.3
Default gateway
Preferred DNS Server-what do I put here?192.168.0.2
Network Bridge
Def Gateway?192.168.0.2
Hope you're still there
Thank you

Ask a Question