Can't run CPU at full speed.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
In January I upgraded my whole rig to the one currently listed in my sig, and I found that when running the fsb at 200 (thats 400MHz for memory and 800MHz for the CPU, the standard speed at which everything would work) my system frequently crashed with that infamous blue screen.
After a bit of messing I realised that if i dropped the speed from 200 down to 195 the system never crashed again, but this means my 3GHz Prescott will only run at 2.925GHz.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this, and what do you expect the offending component is likely to be? My guess is either CPU, memory or mobo, but which one.

I have tried updating the bios, and tried different PSU's, added Freezer 4 instead of stock cooler (just to make sure it wasnt overheating).
I am normally quite competent when it comes to components, but this has really puzzled and frustrated me.:):confused:

Reaction score
Is your memory running at SPD timings? Try setting your CAS latency timing to CAS3 if its not, and set the FSB to 200...

Your voltages are right, right?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As Chris said.

To verify your memory OK, download and use Memtest

It's a freebie software program, small, and you can download an ISO to make a bootable CD.

Reaction score
I believe you may have posted in the wrong thread there... make a new one, instead of whats known as hijacking. People will be happy to help you there.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Please start your own thread

shazel said:
I have got the message during installation 98 "suwin fault"

Change your memory

Ask a Question