Windows XP Can't get games to run on XP

Reaction score
After installing Xp I can't get my games to run. I have tried every thing that the windows help has told me but no joy. Please help

Computer spec:-

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ 1.74 GHz
768Mb Ram
Windows XP Home Edition
Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440
Nvidia nForce Audio

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What sort of problems do you get? i.e are there any error messages, or any specific games?

I'd make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card, and have the latest DirectX version - although your problem sounds a little more specific

Reaction score
It doesn't happen to any specific game. I have tried downloading the lastest drivers, but I still get the same problem.

One of two things happen:-

1. The game crashes or freezes then returns to the desktop (sometimes you have to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to close through Task Manager)

or

2. A message comes up:- "Program has encountered a problem and needs to close". Clicking to find out the details of the problem that Windows is going to "send", this message appears:- "The following files will be included in this error report - C:\DOCUME~1\DAVIDM~1\LOCALS~1\temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

thanks in advance, David

P.S. - where does Windows send these error reports and what good does it do.

Reaction score
windows send these error reports to bill gates mail box, personally idon't send these for security reasons, in regards to your problem it would be nice to know what games your trying to play, XP will have probs running some older games, need more info.

Regards

J

Reaction score
the main game that I have been trying to get to work is Medal of Honor-Allied Assault, but I bought Call of Duty and it has started to crash too. I did also have Championship Manager 4 in for a while, but windows even got problems with this and closed the program

Reaction score
What version of direct x do you have installed?

What version of the G Force drivers have you got installed?

Have you got anything running in the background when your trying to play e.g anti virus or a firewall?

J

Reaction score
I have DirectX 9.0b installed and GeForce drivers are version 2.9.8.0. I don't have anything running in the background while trying to play.

David

Reaction score
I tried the driver from the download, but I got the same error message as before except WER1.tmp.dir00 became WER4.tmp.dir00. I also got another error message when I tried to change the settings of the graphics card:- "Run a DLL as an APP has encountered a problem and needs to close", again checking the details of the error message I got the same message except for WER2.tmp.dir00.

David

Reaction score
ok, try this,

start -> run type "dxdiag" -> click ok -> click display at the top -> first click test directdraw let that run through then click test direct 3d, if it runs through with no errors, try below...

start -> run -> type "msconfig" -> click ok -> click startup at the top right on the window -> click disable all -> click ok -> reboot when prompted -> try running game

J

Reaction score
tried it, it worked. Well for longer than normal, then guest what? Happened again (same error message as the first time). Do you think that it is the graphics card or something else, Championship Manager doesn't have the best graphics in the world but it still crashes?

David

Reaction score
wow , i know how ya feel, i had the same problem

Had win 2k and got new machine with XP and medal of honor plus sof2 crashed in the same way as you explained.

after about a month of sending it back and the techie coming out he gave up and gave me a refund, built my own and problem vanished.

pointless me saying this as it doesnt help, but i really want to know how u solve it, if ya do that is.

good luck

edit: as the machine i had before didnt work with games i did get completely different components when i built my own system.

PS ya play mohaa as in online ? i play it nearly everyday, another words are ya good etc ?

Reaction score
no virus, reinstalled windows but no joy.

Thanks for your help J, all the best

David

Reaction score
I also have a problem runing games on my new PC
I have Xp and Direct X9.
the problem is where i load a game it works for around 20 seconds then frezees.
It will then do one of three things:
1.Work for a little while then freeze again
2.Crash and exit the game
3.Freeze so i have to reboot the computer

Please Help

Reaction score
Tried evething above and have the following Spec;
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
Windows XP
44+GB mem
Direct X 9.1

Reaction score
Well, I hate to say ditto on all problem fronts, but...

I have been getting the error when trying to launch NHL2003, and MVP 2003 both from EA sports. c:\docs\user\localset\temp\wer2.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt. crash!

I first experienced this at home on an XP prof running on an ASUS mobo, AMD 2500, 1 gig of PC 2700 ram, ATI 9000 vid.

so I figured, being in the biz. I'd bring the game to work and install it there. Same error message on a Dell GX300 DP P3 machine with built it video. I've spent the better part of 2 working days all over the web trying to locate a solution. I've tried everything I can find online to no avail. I'm hoping someone has some additional ideas no how to fix this. I did try a fresh install of XP pro on a GX 400 P4 Dell machine, and did get a different error (CD couldn't be found, funny... it autoruns from the Cd when you insert the CD, how could you not see it. : ) So, I'm pretty sure that faulty video, Ram, mobo, processor is NOT the cause. and no virus scan sftwr can find anything. no spyware is reported by any of the products I've installed. the advice I've found on this thread didn't work, and nothing else I found on the web that references this error worked. not even the german sites I had to babelfish. : )

got anything else for me??? please??? nhl2004 is no good.

dar_head

Reaction score
the answer to all your problems that nobody has mentioned yet is the ram i had the same problems latest board a7n8x-e new harddrive seagate barracuda nvidia fx5700 graphic card kingston ram. Updated everything driver no joy I was told about corsair ram and installed it guess what works fine now kingston and other rams out there at the moment are not up to scratch when playing games at 400mhz fsb good luck and get rid of your old ram it aint up to it

Reaction score
This article was previously published under Q318023
SYMPTOMS
When you start your Windows XP-based computer after you install an ATI RADEON 64 MB DDR video adapter, the computer may continually shut down and then restart.
The computer stops responding at the Logon screen. After a short time, you may receive the following error message:

Windows has recovered from a serious error BCCode: 100000EA BCP1:81356020 BCP2:8145FB30 BCP3:814D7378 BCP4:00000001 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP:0_0 Product: 256_1
You may receive an error report referencing the following files: C:\Windows\minidump\mini~0... .dmp" ...=unknown #'s C:\documents~1\defaut\locals~1\temp\wer3d.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

CAUSE
This issue may occur if the driver for the video adapter is the incorrect version.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, install build 6.13.3276 of the Windows XP display driver for the ATI RADEON 64 MB DDR video adapter. To do this, visit the following ATI Technologies, Inc., Web site:
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/powered.html

If either this link or build is no longer current, visit the following ATI Web site to inquire about the availability of an updated driver for the ATI RADEON 64 MB DDR video adapter:
http://support.ati.com

To download and install the driver, start the computer in Safe mode and use the Networking option. To do this, follow these steps:
Restart the computer.
When you receive the following message, press F8:

Please select the operating system to start
On the Windows Advanced Option Menu screen, use the ARROW keys to select Safe mode with Networking, and then press ENTER.
MORE INFORMATION
For additional information about how to troubleshoot another restart issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
310396 Windows XP logon screen does not appear and the computer continuously restarts

For additional information about how to troubleshoot the video adapter driver in Safe mode, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
292460 How to troubleshoot the video adapter driver in Safe mode in Windows XP

For additional information about Safe mode options in Windows XP, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
315222 A description of the Safe boot mode options in Windows XP

For information about how to contact ATI Technologies, Inc., click the appropriate article number in the following list to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
65416 Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, A-K

60781 Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, L-P

60782 Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, Q-Z

The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Ask a Question