    changed any settings so now I am at loss as to what to do.

    any advise

    thanks

    mad amoeba, Aug 27, 2003

  2. mad amoeba

    mad amoeba Guest

    nope didnt work. Does it matter that im using win2000?
    Do i need to restart?

    thanks

    mad amoeba, Aug 27, 2003

  3. >"mad amoeba" <> wrote:
    >when go to 'right click on desktop->properties->background' I can't select
    >anything in the list of images as the box is grayed out. I don't think I
    >changed any settings so now I am at loss as to what to do.

    Kelly has a fix at 256, right "effects options are greyed out -
    appearance".

    (From my own experience, Desktop Architect caused the problem,
    although I haven't yet done anything about it.)
    ..

    Maureen Goldman, Aug 27, 2003
  4. mad amoeba

    PCyr Guest

    OMG. Please tell me that you didn't just say "Does it matter that im using
    win2000?" --- Hmm... think about that one, you ask for help in an XP
    newsgroup - but you neglected to mention that your not even running XP?
    First of all, try the 2000 newsgroup. Second, check to make sure your not
    leaving out significant details.

    --
    Check out http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com for amazing tweaks and fixes

    Member of "Newsgroups are for everyone"

    Email address is fake to prevent SPAM.
    Real email address is pcyr2000 AT hotmail DOT com
    Change the obvious to the obvious.
    ------------------

    PCyr, Aug 27, 2003
  5. mad amoeba

    mad amoeba Guest

    thanx that did it.

    mad amoeba, Aug 27, 2003
  6. mad amoeba

    WeirdEars

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2005
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have this same problem and the registry edits haven't done a thing...

    I recently got the dreaded SpySherrif, so how do I make it so that I can change my wallpaper?

    WeirdEars, Nov 12, 2005
  7. mad amoeba

    andyboyns

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Likes Received:
    0
    fix spyware

    Me too!

    I've installed and run the Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta, which claims to have removed SpySherrif, but the background is still locked...

    any suggestions how to clean up?

    andyboyns, Nov 13, 2005
  8. mad amoeba

    digiart

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2005
    Likes Received:
    0
    Sos:)

    got the same problem. I am 100% sure I got it from spy sherrif. tried everything but doesn't work. any solution please!

    also need to know how we can make a coalition against dreaded spy sherrif.

    digiart, Nov 26, 2005
  9. mad amoeba

    hamrun

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2005
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have the same problem I just cant get rid of the desktop back round with that unoing MSG of " SPYWARE INFECTION",any help will be apriciated as it will save me formating C drive .

    Thank you in advace

    hamrun, Dec 3, 2005
  10. mad amoeba

    Wynd

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2005
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    San Diego
    I just joined this Forum to help you guys out, I had the same problem late last night, it is SpySherrif along with all it's "buddies" it downloads with it. I disabled everything, thought I managed to fix it, but it came back, it's loading itself through several programs that are going undetected even by current updated scans on your computer. In laments terms it's hiding from you.

    Solution:
    This is fairly complicated, and I wish there was an easier way to explain it, download Spybot - Search and Destroy, which can be found at download.com, just search for Spybot. Once installed, immediately update the program, but do not scan yet, restart the computer in safe mode (press the F8 key once the BIOS is through with it's POST {all that number crunching at the beginning} and before it starts loading windows with the little bar that goes across, it will give you several options, choose "Safe Mode". Once you've loaded into safe mode run Spybot, it will find several problems including SpySherrif. Now, fix those problems it finds, once it's completely done scanning and fixing, close it. What you have to do now is the hardest part, stay with me. This is a list of programs that seemed to be hiding on my system and seem to be used to reinstall SpySherrif (the bottom line is without these, SpySherrif no longer came back, and they only appeared after SpySherrif hit my computer)

    Located in the windows installation directory (typically C:\Windows):
    tool*.exe (where * is a random number, there may be several of these)
    kl.exe

    Located in System32 folder (typically C:\Windows\System32:
    paytime.exe

    You will need to get rid of these programs if they exist, they aren't neccessary of that I'm sure, I didn't really research them yet, but they were all created within minutes of SpySherrif hitting my computer so I assumed them all bad. Once I got rid of these after the scan and restarted, the problem was gone. I hope I didn't confuse anyone, I'm not good with the explaining portion of this type work, better with dealing with it. Maybe one of the administrators can explain if you don't understand the specifics.

    Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
    Wynd, Dec 14, 2005
  11. mad amoeba

    beverage

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2005
    Likes Received:
    0
    same darned problem

    does anyone know who made this program? I'm gonna send hatemail.

    I'll try using your process in a sec here.

    beverage, Dec 17, 2005
  12. mad amoeba

    beverage

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2005
    Likes Received:
    0
    Oh and if you need to get rid of the spyware...

    Use ad-aware to get rid of the spyware stuff. Spy sherrif dont get rid of it. it just screws up your background. just google search ad-aware. It deleted all 90 files of spyware on my comp!!!

    beverage, Dec 17, 2005
  13. mad amoeba

    therealv322

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2005
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had the same problem I tried everything
    I use spybot and now i can change my backround

    therealv322, Dec 17, 2005
  14. mad amoeba

    wait

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2005
    Likes Received:
    0
    To remove the desktop.html and restore you wall paperif infected by SpySheriff, open REGEDIT, and browse to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT VERSION\POLICIES\SYSTEM and remove the Wallpaper entry, also broswe to:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT VERSION\THEMES and remove the Wallpaper entry.

    THis will restore you "Browse" button and allow you to choose your wallpaper once again.

    Be sure to follow the other removal process's to complete the removal of SpySheriff, this should be done after you complete the above removal process.

    http://www.spywaredb.com/remove-spy-sheriff/

    wait, Dec 26, 2005
  15. mad amoeba

    uranium

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2005
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeh i've got it too, exactly the same prob!

    uranium, Dec 27, 2005
  16. mad amoeba

    wait

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2005
    Likes Received:
    0
    I still had the after effects of spysherrif when i got rid of those registry files.
    But alas i deleted everything out of my temp files, ran avast... and now I'm a free man.
    Ad-aware/Microsoft Spyware/Spybot seek and destroy did nothing to help me... they never do anymore.

    wait, Jan 2, 2006
  17. mad amoeba

    kelehb

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2006
    Likes Received:
    0
    Check Thread #14 (remove Wallpaper settings in Regedit) It worked for me.
    PS I am upset at the creator of Spy Sherrif

    kelehb, Apr 27, 2006
  18. mad amoeba

    unspoken

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2006
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm encountering the same problem on my computer. I've tried everything suggested and yet nothing has worked. As well, when I tried that 'Kelly' link, and attempt to open the Display on my computer, a window pops-up reading 'This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on this computer. Please contact your systems operator.' And, just to set the record I am a total technology illiterate. Please, please would someone try to explain what's going on and how to solve it? I'd be much obliged!

    unspoken, Jun 20, 2006
  19. mad amoeba

    helloyou101

    Joined: