Windows XP can i change the virtual memory settings on WinXp??

Reaction score
i have my VM setup on default now but can i change these numbers? will it help my system run a little faster if i increase the values of the virtual memory??

some say its better if the start and limit value are the same and it should be your amount of RAM x 2.5?? any truth to that? thanks

Reaction score
You can change it!

Go to > Start > Controll pannel > system > Advanced (under performance) > Settings > Advanced

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
XP will do a better job than you could ... leave it alone, it aint broke.

:thumb:

Reaction score
i'm with mucks on that one, with previous versions of windows it was possible to increase performance by tweaking the page file size but in XP as mucks said it can do a better job.

why you after changing the VM settings?

if its a cheap attempt to increase your machines ram, then don't bother, buy more ram. windows virtual memory just allocates space on the hard drive to be used as an overflow when the machine runs out of ram, but it's a hell of of alot longer to access a harddrive than it does to access ram.

a hard drive is like a slug on salt compared to RAM.

J

Reaction score
i was able to speed up my win98 before by just editing the Vram so i just thought it might also work on XP.

thanks for the info. i'll just leave it alone from now. :)

Ask a Question