Burning Issue!!!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm having problems using my CD burner.

I am using the Windows Media Player to copy and burn CDs.

I do also have Nero software which was on the PC when I got it. I have tried that for burning images onto CD as I had problems using windows for that.

I had a list of tracks stored in the Media Player copied from bought CDs. Some of the tracks have been used before to put on compilations and they have worked fine.

Yesterday I came back to make an audio CD and when I burnt my compilation it sounded all crackly - like a scratched record. :( I've tried burning at 1X and still the same result.

I use Memorex CD-Rs and they've been fine up until now.

Since I last made an audio CD (which was fine) I have used the burner to store some photos onto CD. I have always had the problem that I can only do one session per CD. So even if there's lots of space on a CD I can't add to it. The burner just says 'process stalled'. I don't know if that's relevant.

Anyway, I would really appreciate any help. Sorry about the rambling explanation.

Love Flower Girl :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
With XP, you don't mention what your OS is, make sure you are using at least http://www.nero.com/en/nero-up_vor.phphttp://www.nero.com/en/nero-up_vor.phpNero 5.5 or above. http://www.nero.com/en/nero-up.phphttp://www.nero.com/en/nero-up.phpNero 6.6 with updates is even better.

Also, check your CDRs manufactures' site for a "firmware" update, or at least tell us who makes it.

Some people 'disable/turn off' Windows Burning, I have never found a problem by leaving it on and by doing so have a quick a 'dirty' way to create quick mp3s.

MP3 files from the Internet occasionally can be damaged. These problems might cause crackling noises. If such damaged MPEG3 files are dragged into a Nero audio compilation, Nero will display a warning. There will be another warning in Nero's log file, informing you that Nero lost synchronization with the MP3 file.

There might also be MPEG files with the extension .mp3 that cannot be decoded by Nero at all. Such files are probably either severely damaged or contain another audio file format like MPEG 2.0 or any other unsupported sound format. Nero's MP3 library currently supports only standard MP3 files (that means ISO MPEG 1.0 layer 3, 44.1 kHz, 16 bit, stereo).

Nero how to Audio

:thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

So you'd definitely recommend using Nero then?

I am using Windows XP and have Nero 5.0 which came with the PC (I bought it about 2 years ago).

I am not using MP3 files. I'm sorry to be so ignorant here, but I don't know what type of files they are (.CDA?). It's just a 'normal' CD I'm trying to create, not MP3.

What I don't understand is why Windows Media Player worked for me before yet now it's gone all crackly. The tracks seem fine when they're on the hard disk (ie no crackling sound) so it seems something goes wrong in the burning process. In fact some of the tracks have been used successfully on other compilations.

I just don't understand why it should go wrong suddenly. I'm even using the same CDR's (Memorex 700Mb/52X).

Thanks, Flower Girl

Reaction score
Just a post script to my last message...

I've tried using Nero and get the same problem - CD ends up very crackly. Maybe my CD re-writer needs servicing?

muckshifter

Reaction score
What is the make/model CD-RW and operating system?

Reaction score
Flower Girl said:
Thanks for the reply.

So you'd definitely recommend using Nero then?

I am using Windows XP and have Nero 5.0 which came with the PC (I bought it about 2 years ago).

I am not using MP3 files. I'm sorry to be so ignorant here, but I don't know what type of files they are (.CDA?). It's just a 'normal' CD I'm trying to create, not MP3.

What I don't understand is why Windows Media Player worked for me before yet now it's gone all crackly. The tracks seem fine when they're on the hard disk (ie no crackling sound) so it seems something goes wrong in the burning process. In fact some of the tracks have been used successfully on other compilations.

I just don't understand why it should go wrong suddenly. I'm even using the same CDR's (Memorex 700Mb/52X).

Thanks, Flower Girl

TBH whenever I burn Audio CD'S I always use Media player I do think i its great for this purpose.

Well the first thing to do is to invest in Nero, should you not have it of course.
Try burning the CD'S using Nero.

If it is still the same problem I would suggest getting a different brand of CD's
prehaps out of a 100CD's you could get a couple that are of a bad quality.

When you burn your files onto CD's the files get converted to WMA which stands for Windows Media Audio I beleive, this enables the files to be played off of Hi-fis.
MP3 is the format that is most probably on your PC from which the conversion starts!

:)

hope you have a little clearer picture in your mind :)

Reaction score
Flower Girl said:
Just a post script to my last message...

I've tried using Nero and get the same problem - CD ends up very crackly. Maybe my CD re-writer needs servicing?

When u say crackling................

have u tried this new CDR in lots of different Hifis or CD PLAYERS?

if u just tried it on your pc try it elsewhere aswell? try it on 2 or 3 different places.

ive not heard of servicing a CDRW Driive, the only thing you can do is chuck that one away and grab yourself a new one, but I would not suggest that just yet.

Reaction score
Thanks

Hi again,

thanks for your replies.

Now I'm going to sound really ignorant - I'm not sure about the make model of my CD operating system. It has MSI written on it, if that's any help. The speed is 52X24X52X. I got the PC as a package from a local shop.

I've tried lots of diffent CDR's and played the CD on different players. Each time they sound like an old scratchy record.

I really think something's just gone wrong since the audio CDs have always worked up until now. Since I burnt my last audio CD that worked, I've been using the burner a lot to store photos. A couple of days ago I came back to do an audio CD and got the crackling sound.

Thanks,

Flower Girl

muckshifter

Reaction score
Download, install and run Everest it will give you all the information we need.

:thumb:

Reaction score
are u sure this crackling sound only comes from your own made CDR's or does it come from your PC Speakers, when listening to music from your pc say a song stored on your harddrive!?

umm im just reading my question sorry if im confusing you hope it makes sense!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
psd99 said:
Well the first thing to do is to invest in Nero, should you not have it of course.
Try burning the CD'S using Nero.

She already has it according to her post. The only thing That I ca recommend is to upgrade it to the latest version which is very easy to do. Just follow the link, download the file and execute it to replace the older version. This will only upgrade to latest version of 5 and not 6. I have been using the version 5 without any problems, only thing missing in version 5 is eye candy

Nero update
(the first download link should work for you)

When you burn your files onto CD's the files get converted to WMA which stands for Windows Media Audio I beleive, this enables the files to be played off of Hi-fis.
MP3 is the format that is most probably on your PC from which the conversion starts!

Windows Media Audio cannot be played on standard cd players, the standard players only handle cdda format (original format of cd) newer players handle different formats for which one needs to consult the manual of the player. When you rip audio from cd it gets converted to wave file initially after which you have a choice to convert them to either MP3 or WMA, there are shortcuts to it as well depending on the software used.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Flower Girl,

Please update your version of Nero (if you have not done that yet) by following the link provided in the post above.

Reaction score
Thanks so much!

Hello everyone,

thanks so much for your advice.

Everything plays fine from my hard-drive by the way, it's just once it's burnt.

Actually I feel a bit of an idiot now because I've tried a third CD player (one we have downstairs) and the CDRs I've burnt play fine on there. I know it seems I should have done this right away, but I'm pretty much bed bound at the moment due to illness so getting downstairs isn't always possible.

It's still a mystery as to why the two players I tried upstairs won't accept the CDRs, or at least they sound crackly.

I think I will still try what you suggest Muckshifter and I will also download the Nero update - thanks Quadophile.

Anyway thank-you so much to you all - Muckshifter, Quadophile and psd99 - you have been great. With not being able to get out, it's so nice to have some friendly people to help over the net. I was so nervous about posting (me being an idiot with computers) but you've all being fantastic.

Best wishes,

Flower Girl :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
You are welcome anytime, glad to know we are able to help :D

Sorry to hear about your illness, get well soon :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Not just the link but downloading also starts after few seconds. Try to use the link provided instead of waiting for it to automatically come on.

Reaction score
Doh! Theres actually an exact answer to that, I just unfortunatly forget what it was... If I come across it again, I'll let ya know.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
i have nero 5.5 burning rom and this thread prompted me to check what version i have and see if there are any updates, the problem is i can't download the update the link takes me to the page and it says if your download doesn't start click here but i cant get it to download either way. does anyone have the same problem ?

Please start your own thread ... highjacking someone else thread only adds to confusions.

;)

Ask a Question