Bose speaker system - A story of Love and Hate

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Bose is the most advertised and talked about audio product on the planet, there is no denying that! Some love them some cannot stand them. Some think Bose makes the best speakers in the world by employing the state of the art technology. Is it really so?

The following link will take you to an article which you may find enlightning if not entertaining. However, if you ever thought of buying Bose speakers or are considering to buy them in near future, you owe it to yourself to consider the article a must read.

Bose Acoustimass System

Happy listening! (No matter what speakers you are listening to now :))

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hehe... ;)

I noticed at the boarding platform for one of the roller coaster rides at Thorpe Park, two Bose 'Bass Tubes' were hanging from the ceiling to reproduce bass frequencies. They were tubes about 12" diameter and about 12' long, black, with a fancy Bose logo on them.

They worked OK, I felt bass, but I did wonder how much the theme park paid for them.

I wouldn't mind betting something like £5000.00 each - for a piece of drainpipe mounted with a 12" Celestion woofer :)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I have a pair of Bose 3000XL speakers, and they've served me well, i only payed £100 for them about 3 years ago from someone who didnt know much about them ;).

I've noticed most restaurants, pubs and shops use Bose speakers aswell.

Reaction score
We have a pair of these 2.5" cube speakers on the wall and a big sub on the floor... they work well. Bought them from a bose outlet... i dont think they were cheap

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Actually, I just remembered, I had a pair of Bose speakers, bought them back in '79 for about £120.00. Plain brown wood boxes with plain brown grilles. They were stand mounting, measured about 16" - 18" high.

They sounded great.

Sold them to a mate of mine in '83 for about £80.00 and he has them to this day, still sounding great.

However, I wouldn't touch any of their stuff with a barge pole now. I've heard some of their PA equipment, particularly the full range 15" speaker cabinets intended for Disco use, and they cost at least three times as much as something that will do the job better.

And they didn't sound too good anyway, wouldn't go very loud before distorting and booming.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Bose... way out of my price range, way out there...

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Alf said:
Bose... way out of my price range, way out there...

You can get twice as good sound at half the price of Bose if you really wanted, so now do you still think you cannot afford it?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Alf said:
im broke at the moment:p

Do not underestimate my patience, I can wait till eternity. Start saving a penny a day, it will eventually get you there. :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Hmm? do you work for Bose?:p In any case, i just got a wonderful set of Z-5300e's and i have no intention of replacing them anytime soon.:) Sorry Quad i dont really need new speakers right now;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I can assure you that Quad doesn't ;) Although I suspect he wouldn't mind testing out all their systems :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I have tested most of their systems both at home as well as at other peoples homes right from their smallest to their flagship models and have never fancied them in terms of sound quality. There is always something better out there than Bose in the same price category.

Bose has the highest WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) associated with any brand. In my case my wife does not even come in the picture when I am in the midst of a speaker purchase. My living room is actually a dedicated listening room and has been setup primarily for audio and not for asthetics.

My current speakers are 6 feet from front wall (measured from cone center), 4 feet from side walls (7 feet in between), listening position being 6 feet from back wall and 12 feet from the speakers.

:D:D:D

Ask a Question