Bird's nests

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear friends

This is a serious post...

Does anyone know whether House Martin nests are protected? I have a problem with my office - birds nests all over the place (under the eaves in a large stone building - too many to count) - lovely to see all the babies but the mess and noise is getting a bit much.....birds are getting into the offices etc... etc......

I was wondering about having the nests taken down after the babies have flown which I think will probably be in September - they are on the 2nd 'litter' as we speak. I stress, I am not after taking the nests down now, after the babies have flown possibly.

Someone at work said that the birds and nests have rights under legislation and also might be protected under some other regulations. I neither want to break the law or do anything I shouldn't....

Anyone know what the position is?

Kind regards

Gabriella x

Reaction score
Legal Status

House Martins are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981). It is illegal intentionally to use any method to disturb or kill them, and to take, damage or destroy their nests while the nest is in use or being built. House Martins tend to suffer from intentional nest destruction because people do not always appreciate them nesting on their houses. Householders should be aware that destruction of nests carries a maximum penalty of £5000 or a six-month prison sentence.

Management, Research and Guidance

Concern for House Martins was raised in 1998 when reports to RSPB suggested many birds failed to return to their traditional nesting sites. Since 1998 the RSPB have been asking for information from everyone with House Martins nesting on their houses. It is hoped that annual monitoring schemes will help to show whether numbers are declining. There is no current conservation action for House Martins nationally, although advice is provided by the RSPB.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Chris

Right!! That sounds a bit serious....they may have to stay I think. Please can I reassure everyone that I am a bird loving person who would never harm them, just thought that perhaps the nests could come down after babies big enough to leave.

I may issue the public who come to our office with plastic macs and hats as they keep getting 'zapped' with bird poo and the cleaner is not haappy about cleaning the steps and path to office on a daily basis!!

Thanks Chris!

Gabriella x

Reaction score
ah well... maybe you could knock the nest down accidently...like pay local kids to kick footballs at it... lol just messin.

no probs.
chris

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Chris

If u could see the size of my building and the gradient, I don't know which footballer could accidentialy knock them out....the size and gradients are awsome...the window cleaners have volunteered but I think I may steer them away...don't want the old bill to come a-calling!!

Gabriella x

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It may be worth asking the RSPB for advice, I'm sure they'll be interested as you do seem to have a well populated building.

We have bats nearby ... I love watching them at dusk. :blush:

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear mucks

Lovely but....a bit of a nuisance to the public, will call RSPB and c what they say.

Please don't anyone think I am some bird killing/destructing woman. It's just I had my Health and Saftey inspection this week and they came down on me massively about the birds, health hazards, risk to public etc..... plus on a warm day they sometimes get in through my open window....

Gabriella x

Reaction score
I think if you just leave them they will eventually split.

From experience, House Martins generally leave and form splinter groups such as The Beautiful South.

It has even been known for the odd House Martin to rename itself Fat Boy and forge a rewarding career DJing on the beach at Brighton and marrying former Radio 1 DJ's who's relatives ask you to think of a number.

...Check it now, funk sole brother....

By the way Gabriella, sorry for not replying with the fax problem,I've been really really busy, I promise I will tomorrow. Look at the time! I've gotta go to bed!

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Plasmatica

That's really funny!!!! I think I would be in some trouble if I een went ahead with my getting down of the nests plan. I feel complaints coming on from: staff, cleaner. the public etc..........

It's alright about the fax, I just had to walk 5 miles with a handwritten note to the GP for some basic repeat prescription bits...not to worry, I am fit now (not really....I just drove round and did the bizz). It would be good if we could sort it - we may have to recap as althou I've saved yr messages I can't quite remember where we got to in the proceedings..........

Gabriella x

Ask a Question