Windows XP Big but simple windows XP problem

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm having a problem with one of my accounts. I installed McAfee and Norton anti virus Dell CD on my machine and some of the files didn't install , i restarted the m/c and then the user account which i used to install the cd , when i log in, is completely froze. I see the desktop things, start button etc...but it's completely froze. So i removed the McAfee and Norton using safe mode/admin user along with some un used programs. I restarted the m/c and logged in the regular account and it's still froze up. I installed some registry cleaning programs but it's the same problem along with the volume icon gone problems etc. I need help guys in fixing my m/c. It works in safe mode/admin user id only.

Thanks a lot!
James.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd startup in safe mode, click on help from the start menu and then run "system restore". Pick the day before you installed the 2 applications that caused all the trouble, and it should hopefully alleviate the problem :)

Reaction score
i take it your talking about McAfee AV and Norton AV?

if so then that is a receipe for disaster, anymore than one copy of AV s/w and you will have issues guarenteed.

rebuild the machine and learn from your mistakes.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If the PC 'works' in safe mode then you have software problems ... do as Techy suggested ... start again with a new clean install, but only use one AV program.

:thumb:

Reaction score
problem solved

Ian, thanks a lot. The system restore to 2 days prior installation worked. I've a lot to know about my m/c :)

Thanks guys a lot,
James

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Great ...

Pleased to hear that :thumb:

... keep a watch, as 'system restore' cannot delete everything and will leave the registry with a whole host of redundent pointers lying around.

As a rule it should not be a problem, but just to advise you to be aware. ;)

Ask a Question