Best phone under £350?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new phone in the next couple of months, as my Huawei P20 is no longer getting updates and the battery life isn't what it used to be. I really like the phone, but it may be a good time to sell it on and buy something else. I don't really want to flash a custom rom on to the phone to get security updates, as I then won't be able to use contactless banking on it.

My budget is around £350 to buy one outright, so the Google Pixel 4a looked like a good option... however it looks like the 5a could be released in the coming days.

Any ideas? :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
With that budget, you can never go wrong with the Google Pixel phone. :thumb: This budget is in line with Pixel 4a but when you consider the 5a it may be higher as per the rumors floating around. No matter which one you ultimately get 4a or 5a, one thing is certain, you get the best photographic capability in that price bracket. I say that because of my personal experience of owning the Pixel 3a at one time for a short while. I was very impressed with the results. :nod:

I have been following up on most phones when it comes to photography and Pixel phones never disappoint me in any way. Google is good at updating the software on a regular basis. When do you think the 5a is going to be available to you? If it is not too far in the future, maybe it is a good idea to wait. ;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
@Ian Another 4 days is nothing, might as well wait. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope the 5a is like 350ish or so. To tell you the truth, if it is even 375ish I would try to get the new one ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I was gonna suggest a Pixel too when I saw the title. Even a second hand 5 wouldn't be a bad shout. My missus need a new phone as she dropped her P3, so I've been keeping an eye out of a 5 for her.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
@Ian Here is what I just found and I am very happy to know that my earlier post was in line with what I just found out, Of course this is also speculation but all the signs are pointing in the same direction.

Google Pixel 5a price and release date​

• What is the Google Pixel 5a? The next mid-range Google smartphone
  • When will the Google Pixel 5a come out? Probably May
  • How much will the Google Pixel 5a cost? At or above $349 / £349 / AU$599
Source

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
@Ian Here is what I just found and I am very happy to know that my earlier post was in line with what I just found out, Of course this is also speculation but all the signs are pointing in the same direction.

Google Pixel 5a price and release date​

• What is the Google Pixel 5a? The next mid-range Google smartphone
  • When will the Google Pixel 5a come out? Probably May
  • How much will the Google Pixel 5a cost? At or above $349 / £349 / AU$599
Source
If this comes in at £349 I'll be thrilled and getting it right away :D. Only another 24h to find out for sure.
As we're talking Pixels here, anyone seen the possible leaks of the new Pixel 6?

That's quite something.
I can't decide if I love or hate that 70s retro future design :lol: .

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
A bit of a surprise... no new Pixel phones announced so far at Google IO!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
New Pixel will be October or November if history repeats...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, bit of a shame - think I'll likely hold on for a few more months before purchasing as I'm not desperate, but will need one by the time the year is out.

Ask a Question