Best Laptop for £300?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a laptop for a family member about £300. The demands on it will be quite minimal, primarily office applications, wireless internet and the odd dvd etc.

He wants it as light as possible but needs a big and clear screen for his eyes. I know those two qualities don't exactly compliment each other but maybe theres something out there.

This could probably be done for under £300 but I've decided to try and spend as much of the budget as possible as I imagine Vista (whether he has it now or a year or two down the line) will break the back of anything sub £250.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in anticipation of your help guys.

Tim

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Really struggling to find something i would recommend for £300.

Can't find anything with Vista and 2GB RAM.

Might have to up your budget slightly as Vista on 1GB of RAM is gonna be slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Well not to start with but after a little while.

Will keep looking.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Can't find anything with Vista and 2GB RAM.

No Vista is possibly an advantage ;)

The Toshiba I've linked to (£320 at Laptops Direct and £310.00 at E-Buyer) comes with Vista and Laptops Direct supply 2Gb RAM as part of a 'special offer' quite cheaply if you call their 'double your memory' telephone number.

Reaction score
If you are unfortuante enough to live in Central London take a trot down Tottenham Court Road..There are som great shops down there that do fantastic cash deals..Otherwis take a look on ebuyer...

If you are close to a Pcworld or Curries go in and speak to one of the sales team and ask about there refurbs or returns..I have known of people getting almost new laptops from Pcworld for dirt cheap, because they might have a scratch on them..
As Flopps pointed out, try avoid Acer:nod: ..Take it from me, I repair them day in and day out..Not wrth the money...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
If you are unfortuante enough to live in Central London

Unfortunate?

Do you know how much a flat costs in Covent Garden, Tavistock Square or Haymarket?

And how much entertainment & nightlife is on your doorstep without having to worry about getting the last train home?

I would love to live in Central London, imagine having a patio overlooking Piccadilly or St James Park Park :thumb:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Unfortunate?

Do you know how much a flat costs in Covent Garden, Tavistock Square or Haymarket?

And how much entertainment & nightlife is on your doorstep without having to worry about getting the last train home?

I would love to live in Central London, imagine having a patio overlooking Piccadilly or St James Park Park :thumb:

I do know how much these things cost and the night life is brilliant...I have also been in a position where I had a flat that looked over Kensington Gardens..But honestly, if I was able to find employment as good as I have now, I would swap it all to live in the country..Its a life i'd prefer, and on top of it I would love to bring the kids up in the country...

Reaction score
Budgets are a great guide but don't be fooled by price alone, 12 months down the line you wished that you spent a little more for your lap top. My only pointer i wish to make is the processor speed and SD RAM look for the highest.

I'm a bit of a dell fan last two laptops purchased have been trouble free.
Inspiron 1720
17" HD widescreen. Packed with wireless options and 2GB memory.
Intel® Pentium Dual Core Processor T2370 (1.73Ghz, 533 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2 cache)
£469.00

www.novatech.co.uk I also recommend for cheap laptops

Ask a Question