Best Graphics Card for £300 or less

Reaction score
Hi, looking to buy a new graphics card, Iv got about £300 to spend maybe a little more.

What is the best graphics card out there that i can afford?

thanks

P.s: looking for pci/pci-e cards only

Reaction score
I take it from your question your a gamer like a few more of us?

Another big question is do you have a preference?

Nvidia?

or

Radeon?

Single Card

or

SLI or equivelent?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Nvidia Geforce 7900GT, you should be able to find one for around £250. Dont get Ati ;).

Reaction score
In general terms i would suggest a Nvidia Geforce 7800 GT or GTX.
but we need to know more about what you want :D

Reaction score
Im really just looking for a card that will show the full potential on games, like oblivion, I dont mind which make, But i prefer Nivdia or Radeon, so just post the best graphics card that you recommend

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
chelsea_lover15 said:
Im really just looking for a card that will show the full potential on games, like oblivion, I dont mind which make, But i prefer Nivdia or Radeon, so just post the best graphics card that you recommend
Your question is a little pointless ... it really doesn't matter what sub £300 card you buy, you'll get a good card, just pick one with a high number on it.

It would also help if we knew what the MB was. ;)

Now, if you want the best out of your games then go Quad-SLi ...
laughingsmiley.gif

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I would stick to NVIDIA and stay away from ATI. Had too many problems with driver conflicts lately and after doing a bit of research, I found out I was not the only one but scores of people out there who were cursing ATI cards giving problems of one sort or other.

Reaction score
This aint a new thing!

I have never owned an ATI card and never will purely because of this reason. They seem to be more interested in beating Nvidia speed wise than giving proper software support for their products.

But thats a whole new thread ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As others have said, go for a 7900GT, 256Mb memory, for around £250.00.

I thought ATI had the leading edge for a while and I championed their cards. But I think since after they produced the 9800GT AGP card, they kinda lost the plot.

Their drivers were good a couple of years ago, but now they're dependant on Microsoft Windows' NET Framework software to run efficiently. Not much good if you happen to be running a Linux setup. A damn shame, as ATI were doing good for a while there.

At this moment, I'd only recommend Nvidia, though things do change. In fact, those who constantly, blindly, support one make are probably deluding themselves and being foolish but that's another subject ;)

Also spotted this at Overclockers.co.uk, not out right now but should be soon. For £329.00 looks like a good buy:

Gainward BLISS Geforce 7900 GT "Goes Like Hell" 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-034-GW)
The new flagship NVIDIA® SLI™-Ready GeForce® 7900 graphics processing units (GPUs) are designed for extreme HD gaming and deliver ultra-realistic gaming experiences and unparalleled image quality at resolutions of up to 2560x1600. Need a break from gaming? The GeForce 7900 GPU also delivers smooth, high-definition video playback and crisp picture quality thanks to its advanced NVIDIA® PureVideo™ technology. If you are searching for an extreme HD gaming and video experience on the PC, look no further than a GeForce 7900 GPU.

- GeForce 7900 GT Core running at 580MHz+ (Final release speeds will be quicker)
- 512MB GDDR3 Extreme Memory running at 1650MHz+ (Final release speeds will be quicker)
- 24 Pixel Pipelines
- Designed For Extreme HD Gaming – Delivering Ultra Realistic Gaming Experiences
- Nvidia Pure Video Technology – Delivering high definition video playback supporting H.264 and WMV9
- Dedicated Video processors free the GPU Shaders to run 3D applications – Letting the GPU do what it does best
- Built for Windows Vista – The next generation operating system
- Dual link DVI support
- SLI ready – Delivering upto 2x the performance
- Shader Model 3.0 Support
- True High Dynamic Range Rendering Support – Based on Open EXR technology

Arriving end of April 2006

Price: £279.95 (£328.94 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Reaction score
Go ATI

Well my ATI x800 PCI-E does everything i need in fact on the Simpsons Hit-And-Run it works great:D
But then you all know i'm no serious gamer;)

Ask a Question