Bargain Be Broadband - Free £25 Amazon voucher on 9 month contract

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Some good deals on at Be broadband at the moment (who I can strongly recommend and use myself), and they even have a 9 month contract which would be ideal for students.

If you sign up before 18th Oct there is a free £25 Amazon voucher on the Pro/Unlimited contracts:

Link : Offers Page

The £17.50 / month unlimited package includes:

Up to 24 meg download
Up to 1.3 meg upload
Unlimited usage

The Pro package includes:

Up to 24 meg download
Up to 2.5 meg upload
Unlimited usage
1 Static IP

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
attachment.php

This is so frustrating, I'd sign up instantly if I could, either BE or 02, they're both good.

I've been looking for another ISP as for the past few months I've exceeded my 25Gb monthly bandwidth I have with Zen and would really like a bigger allowance or unlimited. It's costing me £25 a month. They're very good but I need something more economical and better suited.

For the last three months I've had to pay between £2 & £8 for extra bandwidth.

I've also found out that my local exchange, Greenwich, only supports ADSL and can only support download speeds of up to 7Mb, so little point in signing up for anything faster than 8Mb d/l.

Time to shop around methinks....

Attachments

• BE2.jpg
    BE2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 514

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Bit gutting that Flops :( I would have presumed you'd be able to get any provider being in Greenwich, so hopefully they will roll it out soon. Have you looked up your exchange on SamKnows to see what that says?

I found this exchange which supports it, but it may not be your local one. It might list more info such as if/when o2/Be broadband will go live.
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LSGRNW

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Ian, had never heard of 'Sam Knows'.

If I enter my phone number I get the Greenwich exchange, the one you linked to, but if I enter my postcode I get the Deptford Exchange both of which would appear to support 02/BE so it's a little puzzling :confused:

I think I'll give BE a call and maybe 02. My mobile phone is on a monthly contract, sim card only, from Virgin so it wouldn't be a problem to switch mobile phone service providers to get the discount typically offered by 02 on their broadband service if you use their mobile phone service.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, I found out why I can't get 02/BE where I am.

I just spoke to a sales guy at 02 who in turn spoke to a tech fella and the reason is that BT have only 2000 slots for rent across both local exchanges, they're all used up and BT refuse to make any more available to outside customers.

So only existing services can operate as an ISP at the current moment in this area.

02 say they're working on it and are negotiating with BT though have no idea if they will be successful and if they are do not know a time when their service may be available here.

Doncha just love BT? :mad:

I think I'd rather wear a pair of barbed wire Y-fronts than use BT as an ISP.

They do try and tell us that since privatisation they are not a monopoly. Pah.

So I will just have to shop around, use less bandwidth or sign up with Zen for a more expensive package that gives me more bandwidth.

Colour me frustrated.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Since the last post here I've looked at literally dozens of alternatives, bar all the crap ISP's such as Tiscali, Orange, Talk Talk, BT et al.

I have come to the conclusion that only BE & 02 offer what I'd consider bargains and all the others - the ones worth considering - are much a muchness.

I currently pay £24.50 a month to Zen for 25Gb bandwidth, up to 8Mb d/l speed, 2Gb webspace, monthly contract and unlimited e-mail addresses. For the last 6.5 years the service has been faultless.

For me to increase my monthly bandwidth to 50Gb will cost me £34.50 a month with Zen so that's what I'm going to do.

The only other ISP that came close was Vispa who offered 50Gb bandwidth a month for £30.00 a month. But they offered no webspace.

So until either BE or 02 become available to me, I'm staying with Zen

I still think this is ironic, seeing as how I'm in the same London Borough as the 02 arena, but that's life, lol

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So Entanet or one of the resellers wouldn't be an option?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
So Entanet or one of the resellers wouldn't be an option?

I don't follow :confused:

Not sure if it's relevant but in one of my earlier posts in this thread I mentioned BT won't give any more slots to external ISP's at my local exchange, they want all the trade for themselves.

What this means, basically, is that anybody who is served by the Greenwich exchange cannot subscribe to BE or 02 and presumably any of their resellers.

But as I said, I don't fully understand what you mean.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks V_R, apreciate that.

Their Max 30 package is worth considering, 30Gb a month peak and 300Gb a month offpeak for £20.00, must admit.

But a paltry 200Mb webspace and something I hadn't considered - no dial-up backup.

Must admit I've only ever used dialup once in six years, for two days when my Netgear Router crapped out on me but still, worth thinking about.

The Zen package I favour is pricey but so far it's the only one that meets all my requirements. And I know they're good.

Haven't signed up to the thirty-five-quidder yet though, I seem to have this mental block on any ISP charging more than 25, lol

Ask a Question