ATi Renames R300 Chip

Reaction score
According to an article, ATi has renamed what was planned to be called the Radeon 9700 to the Radeon 9700 Pro, probably so that nobody thinks the 9000 (ATi's budget card based on the R250) and upcomming 9500 are in the same class (like the current GeForce4 fiasco).

The article also says that the clock speed of the 9700 Pro will be 325mhz, as it was previously unconfirmed. The beta boards the review sites received a little while ago was clocked at 325mhz, and there was some speculation that it might be clocked a bit lower for the final release, but it now seems that those rumors were untrue, and the amazing benchmarks we saw at sites such as AnandTech are how the final board will perform.

The shipping date for the board has also been moved up to August 19th (around the same time as the 9000), so it looks like we'll be seeing final reviews around then (maybe a bit before), and we'll have our hands on a store-bought card later that week. This goes to show you that ATi is getting very agressive indeed with their marketing.

Finally, the last tidbit to mention is the fact that ATi has decided to release a mid range card which will be called the 9500. It will be based on the same R300 chip architecture, but will, however, have half the pipelines (no word yet on clock speed, but I'm sure it will be reduced a tad).

All is shaping up for ATi, and I'm looking forward to getting my paws, er...hands on the 9700 Pro, which I'll be purchasing with my own hard-earned money (yes, it's true).

Ask a Question