Athlon XP

Reaction score
I have built a PC and have taken every precaution to keep everything cool but not sounding like concorde taking off.

The kit is:
Athlon XP 2000
GeForce 4 MX440 64MB
512MB DDR RAM
40GB 7200 Seagate HD
Abit Motherboard (RAID) (VIA chipset)
Plus the usual CD-RW and DVD drives
450W Power Supply
4 x 80mm case fans (thermostatically controlled)

Both the CPU and the Graphics cards have quietised cooling devices attached (Zahlman) and although I know that the XP 2000 runs hot, the monitoring software is showing it running up to 52 degrees though it normally runs at about 42 deg.

I can find no information on the optimum temperature but that seems pretty darn hot to me. :eek:

With the weather the way it is I am unwilling to use the machine for fear of damaging the chip when it gets to such high temperatures.

Now this may be nothing, but since I don't overclock, I just don't know. The question is where I go from here. Is there a more efficient cooling system that I could use that doesn't sound like the 4.40 from Liverpool St running through my office? Or should I bite the bullet and trade my chip in for the XP 2200 which runs the Thoroughbred chipset and is supposed to be cooler? Or, have I got nothing to worry about?

Help please!
:crazy:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hello technobirman

While 52c sounds hot, it is in fact only warm. I would be worried it the temps creep past the mid 60's

You don't mention what HSF you are using at the moment.

There are several good HSF combinations that are excellent and don't sound like an F1 taking off.

My personal favourite are the copper based heatsinks, a search on Google should throw up a considerable amount of links. ;)

Reaction score
The heatsink for the processor is the Zalman solid copper HS (shaped like a fan, see quietpc.com) which comes with a large suspended fan above it. The fan has been cranked up to maximum velocity. Is this the sort of thing you were talking about?

I am pleased that I am not pushing the processor beyond its limits. That's the thing I really needed to know. At least I can continue to work.

Its all encased it a nice big Chieftec case, plenty of room in it for more gizmos and gadgets.:D

Thanks for your help. I will change the settings on the system monitor and run it in the background just to make sure.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well done ... you caught me on that one ... and there lies your "heat" problem.

Sorry, but I personally think that HSF is a heap of crock ... I'd wager a Memorex 12x16 DVD drive that you would drop the temps by nearly 10c if you plonked a "Volcano" on your CPU. Hell you would probable get better cooling with a Coolermaster.

Sorry to be so blunt ... but it is YOUR system, not mine. :D

Reaction score
Didn't mean to offend. :confused:

What would you recommend?

Its the first PC I have ever built and goes like hot poo off a shovel! It is also the most reliable PC I have ever used (and that's saying something). Though that may be largely down to the XP operating system.

However, when I built it performance and quiet were two key criteria and the Zalman solution seemed to have a reasonable write up.

Any advice you can give would be most welcome.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Hey, no offence taken here, I forgot the name of those "nancy" HSF ... I was trying NOT to offend YOU. :D

Honestly, there are some quite good "run-of-the-mill" HSF that will do a better job than the "Flower".

Pop over here for an idea ... I've already mentioned the Volcano, just make sure its the "Volcano 7+"

- Pros
Excellent performance
Fan speed control
Copper sink
Made for both AMD and Intel
No thermal tape (so you'll need some "gunk" like AS)

- Cons
70mm fan size

... and under £25 its a good buy.

There are lots of others ... have a look around, read some more "reviews" and by all means pop back here for an "unbias" opinion.

Mucks. :D

Reaction score
Thanks Mucks, I appreciate the tip. I have just looked at the Volcano 9 review. Looks pretty good.

Still, since I have already got the flower and its OK for now I will stick with it until I have the readies to buy a new one. Next on my shopping list is a new monitor so I will have to put off the purchase of super cooling systems until after that.

'The Beast' will just have to muddle on for now until I can upgrade.

Regards
TechnoBirman

Ask a Question