Assigning a letter for my USB devices

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a problem with my external devices, the letters which are given to them:

At first, I connected a Flash USB drive which had letters B and F (knowing that A, C, D, E, G, I, J, K, L, M & N are used). B: is a default setting apparently.

I added another USB device, which should have taken the H: letter (as the next available) but instead, it chose F: and gave H: for the Flash USB drive! How come?

Worse, I have a third USB device which is apparently connected (works normally) but without any letter given! In other words, I can't access it...

What can I do?

And by the way, isn't there any possibility to have B: available as a normal drive? (I want to set up a DVD burner and all the next letters will be unavailable) Surely it must be possible!

Kortex

Reaction score
assuming this is xp, right click my computer -> left click manage -> left click drive management, this should then display a list of current drives installed, right click the drive that you wish to change the letter on and left click change drive letter. hope this helps.

J

Reaction score
hello Techy,

Your piece of advice is for disk drives and not for USB drives... These are automatically given by the system.

Kortex

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
again, as you don't say, I'm assuming your using XP

And by the way, isn't there any possibility to have B: available as a normal drive? (I want to set up a DVD burner and all the next letters will be unavailable) Surely it must be possible!
Nope ... 'B' drive is reserved exclusively for a second Floppy drive.
You have 23 letters you can assign to non-exclusive drives D to Z.

I added another USB device, which should have taken the H: letter (as the next available) but instead, it chose F: and gave H: for the Flash USB drive! How come?
Drive priority override ... what was the device?

Worse, I have a third USB device which is apparently connected (works normally) but without any letter given! In other words, I can't access it...
Again :rolleyes: what is the device? USB printers don't get allocated a 'drive' letter.

It would help in dealing with your query if you would give us the relevant basic information.

Reaction score
In Control Panel, open Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management. In the box on the top right, right-click on the drive, click Change Drive Letter and Paths..., click Change, and assign whatever letter you wish.

Ask a Question