Any opinions on DELL or HP PC's

Reaction score
Hi,

I am buying a PC and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on DELL computers (good or bad) or HP computers. I am not spending much money on this PC (about 800 euro), so I know its not going to be very special but I want value for money. I was looking at the Dell Dimension 2400, or HP Pavilion A115, or A235 PC.
Or if anyone had a good site that reviews PC's could they let me know what it is.

I would be installing Visual Studio .NET onto the machine, and will primarily using it for that.

Thanks

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum cullenswood

Dell ... fine, although still a little overpriced.

HP ... they need to stick to printers, shame about the price of the ink, and leave the PC market to Dell.

If you cannot/will not build your own then you can't go to far wrong with the Dell.

Reaction score
Re: Welcome to the Forum cullenswood

I've never had a problem with HP kit although I think they are now moreorless Compaqs with an HP badge. If you are using .NET then make sure you get the PRO version of XP.

Nick

Reaction score
I have dealt with various Dells over the years and although they appear well built, I never liked them. I also found Dell's customer service dreadful. They were unhelpful, gave me false info and despite having an onsite warranty, they refused point blank to send someone out. I think their poor customer serice is bordering on criminal and I would never buy Dell. I have even convinced my work to stop buying them.

Iain

Oh and I've not got any experince of HPs pc (used their network equipment lots though).

Don't double post please - MJH

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Originally posted by eein
I have dealt with various Dells over the years and although they appear well built, I never liked them. I also found Dell's customer service dreadful. They were unhelpful, gave me false info and despite having an onsite warranty, they refused point blank to send someone out. I think their poor customer serice is bordering on criminal and I would never buy Dell. I have even convinced my work to stop buying them.

Iain

Oh dear - are they really that bad? I've been considering getting a cheap laptop from their outlet site. I'm not too worried about support as such, but if I need to RMA etc... I'd be scared ;)

Reaction score
I would like to say that i have my own hp and no problems, but the only thing i can say about dell that is bad is that is only like to see dell parts inside it

Reaction score
I'm not saying that Dell are all bad. I have just never had an ounce of anything remotly good from them despite having dealt with them many times in many places (home, work and other).

I'm sure not everyone has problems with them - its like any retailer - most customers are happy, a few have problems and of those that have problems, some get good customer serivce, some don't.

Reaction score
Had my Dell Dim 8300 about eight months now, everythings been fine. Although I'm not a real 'tech head' type, I can say this machine is fast as anything, does everting I want it to, and is a real eye catcher when visitors come!!... Dell customer services and financial services were helpful while ordering, but when sending documents back to them etc., I got the feeling the 'one hand didn't know what the other was doing'. But ob the whole I am very happy with the machine

Ask a Question