Any free backup s/w?

Reaction score
Hi, i want to back up the hard disk drive, somebody can recommend any? I think free version is better, Appreciate the help!:bow:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :)

Depending on your hard drive model, you may be entitled to download free backup software from the manufacturers website. For example:

Seagate / Maxtor : http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

The link to DiscWizard is just a rebranded version of Acronis Backup, minus a few features. It's really good if you are looking for full disk imaging software... and it's free!

There's also Paragon Backup which rates well and can be used on any system:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/

Reaction score
Thank you for both of the suugestion!
I use Windows XP, WD drive, I think i will consider Paragon, is that free wothout any limitation?

Reaction score

Hi guys. Not been here 'for some time' but noticed you had discussed Paragon System Backup. I installed it last year and did a reinstallation recently and (without PSB 2010 SE) lost one file which I know is in PSB's backup. Considering it was a freebie with PCPRO, Paragon has been helpful and pointed me in the right direction. The problem is that I need to reinstall the software it seems to go to the files which are back up on an external drive. Using the cd supplied (and the one I burnt as a recovery) came with even though I have l the key & password it’s no use (to an inept user like me). I'd appreciate if anyone has any suggestions. BC PS my avatar (image of Nixon) is not a reflection of my political leaning, I just love the graphic, so tell me if upsets anyone as I’m from the UK! :blush:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I shook hands with Preseident Nixon once.

Not a lot of people know that :)

Not quite sure what the problem is here.

I gather a reinstallation was done and a file was missing that was in the original installation. You say this was done without the Paragon software - how? Is there a Paragon boot CD that's used to install a backup, the same as with Acronis True Image?

I'm also understanding here that you want to reinstall the paragon software but can't. Correct? If that's the case, what's the problem installing it?

Oh, and welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
Hi floppybootstomp
Many thanks for the welcome I appreciate your interest.
I have the back up and all the relevant data in my external h/drive. I have I presume in the back up, all the data in the PSD folder. I backed up the data in the hard drive not using any software system just XP. Recovered all the dates: Favorites, Outlook, Firebird etc except the Outlook Express data. Obviously though I thought I had back it up, I hadn’t or I can’t locate it! So my recourse was to PSD but then I found I needed the application to interrogate the data. I have the application's recovery disk (I'm learning on the job) but find I cannot get the (saved) application to run. That is my current situation. I don’t usually get into this mess, had PCs for over 25 years but I know when I’ve hit a brick wall!
BC
PS Did Tricky say anything to you, I’m impressed? He was just a politician who got found out, 95% don’t, I’m with the other 5%! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The application's recovery disk - is that a disk that you boot from that runs a slimmed down version of the Paragon software that runs in the memory for reinstall?

If so, perhaps the backup wasn't perfect and is corrupted.

I'm thinking of Acronis True Image here but if I wanted to reinstall an operating system (OS) I'd boot from the recovery CD, browse within the application software to my backup file, select drive to install to and click to reinstall.

This would, of course, completely wipe the drive of the existing OS and replace with the backup OS file.

Am I on the right path here?

Or did you just want to open your backup file somehow and get the Outlook Express data? If that's the case that isn't possible as the backup will be in a file format exclusive to the Paragon software and it will also probably be compressed.

All you can do is replace current OS with backed up OS and then hopefully all your Outlook Express data will be there.

Another way round this is to take out current hard disk with OS on, replace with another temporarily, install backup OS to that disk then save Outlook Express data.

Then switch disks again and use the OE data on current install.

Hope that makes sense but as I'm unfamiliar with PSD it may not.

As for Nixon, he just said to us 'Hi, nice to see some other guys up at this time of night, how ya doing?'

It was about 1.30am outside a London Hotel and he was just returning. It was possibly the Piccadilly Hotel, not sure. '69, he was President, me a trainee reporter on night shift at a Fleet Street News Agency.

Funny thing was, I wasn't really impressed, just another geezer, lol ;)

Reaction score
Well thank you for your continued help and assistance.
The answer to the first question is yes.
I did the back up without PSB as I wanted to rid my PC of an irritation which I kept experiencing with my browsers and it needed a clean out. Thought I done this OK, ticked al my list, but that’s history. I know you can run Paragon and just 'acquire' one file from it’s back up. I reckon what I'll do is use there 3 day trial, download the Application, run it and hopefully get it back, only time will tell but its all there I know, and consider buying it if I'm happy with it. What I have learned is that next time I acquire a program (this important) I fully understand its capabilities and requirements:blush:. I don’t know about you (and I'm not the brightest spark on the block) but IT is a continuous learning curve!
Are you from my side of the pond out of interest?
Oh and I love that quote, I bought the first Beefheart album Safe as Milk in ’68 from that Import shop in South Molton Street. He was so cool, a loss, he never got over Troutmask bombing, a classic, first time I heard Cooder. Just loved those well cut Whistles!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Other side of the pond? Depends which side you're on I suppose :D

As you've mentioned South Molton Street I'd imagine we're both on the same side of the water.

I'm in Greenwich, London, UK. I bought Safe As Milk from WH Smiths on Waterloo railway station, either late '68 or early '69.

Anyhow, good luck with your backup/recovery, keep us posted.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
For future reference you might save some money by using this,

http://clonezilla.org/

As with a lot of open source programs it may look a little daunting when you look at the home page but it really is a easy to use program and works well with Windows or GNU/Linux.

:cool:

Ask a Question